A lot of people cannot start the day without coffee. In my case, I need sugar to kick-start my day. I know, it doesn’t sound healthy, but I just have to have my sweets for breakfast. It wakes me up and keeps me going all day. I always plan my breakfast ahead of time, it gives me more time to enjoy my morning and not rush eating. I sometimes prepared my breakfast at night, and just toss it in the pan or oven in the morning. This is one reason why I love french toast. It is so easy to make, less ingredient, taste good and it gives me opportunity to have my fruit serving for the day.
I had done quite a few variations of this french toast just by changing the toppings. I had made Strawberry, Banana, Peaches, Nutella or just plain. I made Baked Overnight French Toast version of this one too and they all turned out well and I love them all. Let’s get started!
- 4 pieces sliced loaf bread (White, Whole Wheat or any Sweet Breads that is few days old)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk (Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Full Fat, 1, 2 or 3.5%)
- 4 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sliced Fresh Strawberry (or any fresh fruits, like Banana or Peaches)
- 1/2 tsp butter (just enough to grease your pan)
- pinch Cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Chocolate Syrup
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh Fruits
- Dried Fruits
- Shredded Coconut
- Mix Eggs, milk, cinnamon ,vanilla extract and 3 tbsp brown sugar.
- Dip sliced bread in the egg and milk mixture until fully coated.
- Leave 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge to let the bread absorb the mixture.
- Melt butter in pan.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp of brown sugar on both sides of 4 sliced bread.
- Put in the heated pan (low heat) with butter until golden brown, around 5-7 minutes each side. You can use any regular flat pan.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes before adding the toppings.
- Arrange bread in plate and top with sliced Strawberries
- Dust with Icing Sugar
- Drizzle with Melted Chocolate or Honey
- Top with whipped cream
Good To Know :
- It is best to use a few days old bread for this recipe especially if you want to make it ahead of time and leave it overnight in the fridge. The texture of the bread should be a little bit hard and dry already. A stale bread will not get too soft when submerged in the egg and milk mixture.
- This can be prepared ahead of time. Leave in the fridge overnight and prepare it in the morning.
- Sprinkling of brown sugar prior to putting it into the pan will help make it have crunchy texture outside.
- Depending on how sweet you like it, you can reduce or increase the amount of brown sugar that you add in the egg & milk mixture.
Give it a try, and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking! ♥