A lot of people cannot start the day without coffee. In my case, I need sugar to kick-start my day. I know, it doesn’t sound healthy, but I just have to have my sweets for breakfast. It wakes me up and keeps me going all day. I always plan my breakfast ahead of time, it gives me more time to enjoy my morning and not rush eating. I sometimes prepared my breakfast at night, and just toss it in the pan or oven in the morning. This is one reason why I love french toast. It is so easy to make, less ingredient, taste good and it gives me opportunity to have my fruit serving for the day.
I had done quite a few variations of this french toast just by changing the toppings. I had made Strawberry, Banana, Peaches, Nutella or just plain. For busy morning, I opt for Baked Overnight French Toast version . I prepar it at night and then I just put it in the oven while I prepare myself for work. But for weekends, this classic French Toast is my favorite breakfast.
This is small batch, around 3 regular size loaf bread. You can easily double the recipe if you are cooking for 2 or more. I just love the idea of small batch as it works perfectly well for someone like me who lives alone. Let me show you how I do it. Let’s get started!
- 2-3 pieces sliced loaf bread (White, Whole Wheat or any Sweet Breads that is few days old)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/3 cup Milk (Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Full Fat, 1, 2 or 3.5%)
- 3 tbsp Brown or White Sugar
- 1 tsp melted butter and extra for brushing the pan
- pinch Cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Mix Eggs, melted butter, milk, cinnamon ,vanilla extract and 3 tbsp brown sugar.
- Dip sliced bread in the egg and milk mixture until fully coated. I like using my 5 x 5 square pan when dipping the bread, but you can use any bowl you have that good enough to submerge the bread without deforming the shape.
- Leave for 5 minutes to allow bread to absorb the mixture.
- Spray with oil or grease NON STICK pan with butter.
- Put in the heated pan (medium heat) until golden brown, around 5-10 minutes each side. Cooking time could also vary on how big the bread you are using. I used large white loaf bread and it took around 8-10 minutes each side. Watch out for when the side of the bread you are cooking starts to brown. You can cook it longer if you prefer crunchy texture.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
Good To Know:
- If making this ahead of time, it is best to use a few days old bread and leave it overnight in the refrigerator while submerge in milk mixture. Cover with clingwrap or store in close container. Fresh bread are good for same day cooking as it absorbs milk mixture faster.
Give it a try, and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community home cooking! ♥