Most recipes uses vanilla extract for flavoring, when you see a recipe that uses orange zest or lemon zest, you’re in for a real treat. Citrus flavoring taste really good, it adds fresh taste to baked products. What’s even better , is they are easy to find and not expensive at all, plus you are using a real fresh fruit extract, not the artificial one. I had collected quite a few orange flavored recipes that I want to try, for now I am starting with Orange Chiffon Cake.
What is Chiffon Cake?
Chiffon Cakes are light and airy cake, it’s softness in every bite. The airy fluffy texture can be attributed to whipped egg whites that are fold in the cake batter. Unlike other cake, chiffon cakes don’t use any fat, not too much leavening agent as it relies on the whipped egg whites for structure. Just like any other cake, you can add frosting on them or serve it as is. It’s one of those cool, cut ad serve cake and still they will taste great without any frosting.
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, separated (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup of sugar, divided (use 1 cup if you prefer a sweeter cake)
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- 4 tbsp oil (Vegetable or Canola Oil)
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Ingredients for the Orange Glaze:
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar (Can be reduce if you prefer less sweet)
- Preheat the oven to 325F/162C.
- Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, sift cake flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Egg Whites: In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg white, salt and cream of tartar together until soft peak form(Approximately 5-7 minutes). Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and beat until stiff peak forms (Approximately 7 minutes). Transfer the egg white mixture to a clean bowl.
- Egg Yolks: In the bowl of the mixer, beat the egg yolks, remaining 1/4 cup sugar together until pale yellow (Approximately 10 minutes). Add the oil, orange zest, vanilla extract and orange extract until incorporated.
- Dry Ingredients + Egg Yols + Wet Ingredients + Egg Whites: Turn mixer to low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg yolk batter, follow by 1/2 of the orange juice, then 1/3 of the flour mixture, remaining of the orange juice, and then the remaining 1/3 of flour mixture. Mix until mixture just combined. Then, fold in the egg white mixture, 1/3 at a time, until just incorporated.
- Pour in a Pan and Bake:
- Mini Bundt Pan (4.5″)
- Baking Time : 18 minutes
- Big Bundt Pan (7″)
- Baking Time : 28 minutes
- Regular Muffin/Cupcake Pan (12 pieces)
- Baking Time : 30 mins
- Mini Bundt Pan (4.5″)
- Make the Orange Glaze: In a small bowl, stir all ingredients until no lumps. Drizzle onto cooled cake.
- Whenever you see a recipe that says “room temperature” do not ignore it. It is specified there for a reason.Room temperature ingredients mixes well together and creates a smooth and light batter. Take the eggs or butter 30 minutes – 1 hour to get it to room temperature.
- If you have no time to let the eggs sit outside to get the room temperature, you can submerge the eggs in tap or warm water for about 10-15 minutes or until it s no longer cold.
- You can replace the oil with the same amount of butter. Cakes that uses oil tends to have a softer texture compared to the ones that uses butter. Although, using butter gives a more richer creamy taste especially if you are using a really good quality butter.
- If you prefer a less sweet glaze, reduce the sugar. It will not be as thick though, but it will still taste as good.
Adapted from: U Try It (with my own modifications)
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
- Orange Chiffon Cake
- Mocha Chiffon Cake
- Coffee Chiffon Cake
- Triple Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- Matcha Chiffon Cake
- Mango Coconut Chiffon Cake
- The Fluffiest Banana Chiffon Cake
- Ube Chiffon Cake
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.