After making my Low Fat Banana Sponge Bread yesterday, I still have 1 large overripe banana sitting in my counter. Think, think, think. What should I do with it? Muffins! That was not a though decision at all. Muffins are nice for breakfast or snack and they are easy to make. How about a Chocolate Goodness Banana Muffin?
Soft, moist, light and airy, and full of chocolates banana muffin! That’s what I made and ate today. I made a small batch, enough for light breakfast tomorrow , and few pieces for more snacking today.
I used the cake method for this muffin, just like what I did with my Low Fat Banana Sponge Bread. If you haven’t read that post, I did 3 changes to the normal muffin method to make the muffin soft and light rather then soft and dense:
- Beat the egg yolk with the oil and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg white (with cream & tartar and sugar) until stiff peaks
- Fold the stiff peaks egg white to the egg yolk and flour mixture
This is a small batch, for a larger batch, just double the recipe. Let’s get started!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or All purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup palm sugar OR white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s dark chocolate chips and Baker’s white chocolate chunks
- 1 large ripe banana – mashed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or Canola, Vegetable oil (any unflavored oil)
- 1 large egg (separate egg white and egg yolk) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- For toppings : 1/4 cup Hershey’s dark chocolate chips and Baker’s white chocolate chunks (optional)
Note: I am not endorsing any brand, you can use any brand that you like. The links are just to give you idea of what I used for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Either line 6/12 muffin cups with paper liners, or you can butter or spray them with a non stick vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and white & dark chocolate chips/chunks.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, baking soda and plain greek yogurt.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, using hand mixer or a whisk, mix together the oil, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer, whisk the egg white until frothy, about 30 seconds. Add cream of tartar and 1 tsp sugar continue whisking until stiff peaks, 1-2 minutes.
- Then combine the banana mixture with the oil & egg yolk mixture
- Add flour mixture. Mix just until all the ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Stop once fully incorporated in the batter.
- Fold the stiff egg whites, do not over mix. Stop once fully incorporated in the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Mine is 3 small scoops per muffin tin.
- Add chopped chocolates or you can also use nuts – this is optional
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for five minutes and then remove muffins from pan.
Makes 6/12 regular sized muffins.
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥