After making my Low Fat Banana Sponge Bread yesterday, I still have 1 large overripe banana sitting in my counter. Think, think, think. What should I do with it? Muffins! That was not a though decision at all. Muffins are nice for breakfast or snack and they are easy to make. How about a Chocolate Goodness Banana Muffin?
Soft, moist, light and airy, and full of chocolates banana muffin! That’s what I made and ate today. I made a small batch, enough for light breakfast tomorrow , and few pieces for more snacking today.
I used the cake method for this muffin, just like what I did with my Low Fat Banana Sponge Bread. If you haven’t read that post, I did 3 changes to the normal muffin method to make the muffin soft and light rather then soft and dense:
- Beat the egg yolk with the oil and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg white (with cream & tartar and sugar) until stiff peaks
- Fold the stiff peaks egg white to the egg yolk and flour mixture
This is a small batch, for a larger batch, just double the recipe. Let’s get started!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or All purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup palm sugar OR white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s dark chocolate chips and Baker’s white chocolate chunks
- 1 large ripe banana – mashed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or Canola, Vegetable oil (any unflavored oil)
- 1 large egg (separate egg white and egg yolk) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- For toppings : 1/4 cup Hershey’s dark chocolate chips and Baker’s white chocolate chunks (optional)
Note: I am not endorsing any brand, you can use any brand that you like. The links are just to give you idea of what I used for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Either line 6/12 muffin cups with paper liners, or you can butter or spray them with a non stick vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and white & dark chocolate chips/chunks.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, baking soda and plain greek yogurt.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, using hand mixer or a whisk, mix together the oil, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer, whisk the egg white until frothy, about 30 seconds. Add cream of tartar and 1 tsp sugar continue whisking until stiff peaks, 1-2 minutes.
- Then combine the banana mixture with the oil & egg yolk mixture
- Add flour mixture. Mix just until all the ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Stop once fully incorporated in the batter.
- Fold the stiff egg whites, do not over mix. Stop once fully incorporated in the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Mine is 3 small scoops per muffin tin.
- Add chopped chocolates or you can also use nuts – this is optional
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for five minutes and then remove muffins from pan.
Makes 6/12 regular sized muffins.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥