After making my Low Fat Banana Sponge Bread yesterday, I still have 1 large overripe banana sitting in my counter. Think, think, think. What should I do with it? Muffins! That was not a though decision at all. Muffins are nice for breakfast or snack and they are easy to make. How about a Chocolate Goodness Banana Muffin?
Soft, moist, light and airy, and full of chocolates banana muffin! That’s what I made and ate today. I made a small batch, enough for light breakfast tomorrow , and few pieces for more snacking today.
I used the cake method for this muffin, just like what I did with my Low Fat Banana Sponge Bread. If you haven’t read that post, I did 3 changes to the normal muffin method to make the muffin soft and light rather then soft and dense:
- Beat the egg yolk with the oil and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg white (with cream & tartar and sugar) until stiff peaks
- Fold the stiff peaks egg white to the egg yolk and flour mixture
This is a small batch, for a larger batch, just double the recipe. Let’s get started!
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder – sifted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s dark chocolate chips and Baker’s white chocolate chunks
- 1 large ripe Banana – mashed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoon Flavorless Oil
- 1 large Egg (separate egg white and egg yolk) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp granulated Sugar
- For toppings : 1/4 cup Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Chips and Baker’s White Chocolate chunks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Either line 6/12 muffin cups with paper liners, or you can butter or spray them with a non stick vegetable spray.
- Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking powder, salt, and white & dark chocolate chips/chunks.
- Mashed Banana: In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, baking soda and plain greek yogurt.
- Wet Ingredients: Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, using hand mixer or a whisk, mix together the oil, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Whisk Egg Whites: Using a hand mixer, whisk the egg white until frothy, about 30 seconds. Add cream of tartar and 1 tsp sugar continue whisking until stiff peaks, 1-2 minutes.
- Then combine the mashed banana mixture with the wet ingredients mixture.
- Add flour mixture. Add the flour and mix just until all the ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Stop once the flour is fully incorporated in the batter.
- Fold Egg Whites: Gently fold in the stiff egg whites, do not over mix as not to knockout the air. Stop once fully incorporated in the batter.
- Divide the Batter: Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Mine is 3 small ice cream scoops per 1 muffin tin.
- Finishing Touch: Top with chopped chocolates or you can also use nuts – this is optional
- Bake about 18 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for five minutes and then remove muffins from pan. Drizzle some Chocolate Ganache on top, although optional it will make the muffin even more decadent. There’s a short video below on how to make chocolate ganache. Check it out.
Makes 6/12 regular sized muffins.
Here are some of my breakfast muffins. Check them out!
- Nutella Swirl Banana Muffin
- Cornbread Muffin
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffin
- White Chocolate Banana Muffin
- Jumbo Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffin
- Pina Colada Banana Muffin
- Small Batch Gluten Free Banana Muffin
- Strawberry Streusel Banana Muffin
- Strawberry Banana Muffin
- Dulce De Leche Swirl Banana Muffins
- Nutella Swirl Banana Muffin
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA