Quick and Easy Strawberry Streusel Yogurt Muffins
Last few weeks, I made Low Fat Chocolate Banana Goodness Sponge Muffin (that was long!) and Whole Wheat Carrot Streusel Muffin.This week, I had decided to go for toothy fruity flavor. When I think of fruity flavor for muffin, 2 things comes to my mind. Strawberry or Blueberry. For this recipe, I am making Strawberry Streusel Muffin.
I started seeing some very nice, red and sweet strawberries in the market. It’s very hard to resist them, I bought 1 small box, still too much for me to finish though. What better way to use it than to make muffins. Strawberry Muffins it is, with streusel please! I fell in love with streusel when I used it in my Whole Wheat Carrot Streusel Muffin, so I am having my streusel toppings again.
I am going to use the “muffin method” in making this batter. That means mixing wet ingredients and dry ingredients and then combining them together, as simple as that. With this type of method, you should expect a soft , moist and dense texture, just like how a regular muffin should be. Let’s get started!
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (1 large egg is normally 4 tbsp) – room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (full fat or low-fat)
- 1/3 cup or 5 1/2 tbsp coconut, vegetable, canola, safflower, or corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour or combination of both
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (If using frozen, do not thaw) – sliced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam (optional)
Oats Streusel Topping:
- 1 tbsp cold butter (cut into cube or grated,use a large grater)
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp crushed oats
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
This is a small batch (6 pieces) recipe, for a larger batch, just double the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F (177 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Butter or line 6/12 muffin cups with paper liners. If you are not using muffin liners, make sure to grease the pan.
- Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together the lightly beaten egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Dry Ingredients: In another large bowl, whisk flour, white and brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently stir in the strawberries until fully coated.
- Wet + Dry Ingredients: With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined and moistened. As always, DO NOT over mix. The batter will be thick, that is normal.
- Divide the Batter: Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter (3/4 full), using two spoons or a medium size ice cream scoop. Add strawberry jam (if using) in the center and then cover with another layer of batter. Sprinkle the top with streusel toppings.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin just comes out clean. If you are using a larger muffin liner, adjust the baking time as needed. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Makes 6 medium-sized muffins OR 4 large-sized muffins
To Prepare the Streusel Toppings: In a small bowl, mix butter, palm/brown sugar and whole wheat/all-purpose flour. Use your hand to crumble them together. It’s ok to have small pieces of butter, it will melt once it starts to bake.
This muffin turned out soft and moist as expected, and it has a creamy taste. This is not sweet at all, the strawberry jam in the center added good flavor and moisture. The streusel complements supplied additional crunchiness and sweetness that is just right. This is really a good breakfast option, or snack. It’s very filling for a small size.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Categories: Baking, Muffins, Recipe, Video, Video Recipes
Reblogged this on Sweet & Spicy.