Featured Video: [VIDEO] Chocolate Brownie Tart
This cake is enough reason for me to buy Ricotta cheese. Buying ricotta cheese means double treat for me. Treat one will be my favorite Lasagna with ricotta cheese and treat two is this delicious Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake. If you don’t like lemon on cakes, you can replace it with Orange or Vanilla extract.
I know that Ricotta Cheese is not something that you normally have on hand, just in case you would need a recipe to use your Ricotta Cheese, try this one. Or better yet, just buy one just for this cake, it’s all worth it.
I made this cake several times already, and every time I made it, it is always a hit to my friend. I had made it using different pan size. This one was baked using 5-inch round cake pan. I used cake flour for this one. The texture is lighter and coarser than when I used all-purpose flour. I dusted it with confectioners sugar and I added some almond flakes on top. I like this size for sharing. You can make 2 of this size with this recipe.
This one, I used my 6″ inch round pan. I used all-purpose flour for this one. This size makes 8 small slices. For this one, I used lemon glazed and I added almond flakes for toppings.
The almond flour gave this cake a nice and different texture. All-purpose flour plus almond flour made this cake to be in the dense , soft and moist side. This is the type of texture that I like for a snacking or breakfast cake.
- 1/3 All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Cake Flour
- 1/3 Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 salt
- Zest of 1 large lemon (Can be replaced with other flavoring like Orange or Vanilla Extract)
- 6 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 4 tbsp flavorless oil ( Vegetable, Canola, etc.)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 6 tbsp confectioners/icing sugar
- 2 – 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 – 3 tbsp cup sliced almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Prepare 6″ round pan using paper liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, mixed together All-purpose flour, cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- Wet Ingredients: Beat sugar, oil and egg until the mixture is light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add ricotta cheese. Mix until combined.
- Wet + Dry Ingredients: Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined, do not over mix.
- Transfer in the cake pan: Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan, use back of a spoon or spatula to level the batter
- Pan Size: Muffin/Cupcake Tin : 20 -25 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pan Size: 4.5″ mini round pan : 20 – 23 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pan Size: 6 ” mini round pan : 40- 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then transfer in wire rack.
- Toast the Almond Flakes: Toast the almond flakes for about 3 minutes. Be careful not to leave it as it could get toasted fast.
- Make the Lemon Glaze: Mix confectioners sugar and lemon juice or milk until smooth. If you want a thicker glaze, simply add more sugar, but if you want a thinner glaze simply add more lemon juice or milk or water.
- Pour the Glaze: Pour the glaze on top of the cake and sprinkle with toasted toasted Almond flakes. Let sit for 1 hour or better yet overnight. This will let the cake absorb the lemon glaze and will even more enhance the flavor.
Good to know:
- When using all Cake Flour – The cake will be lighter , softer and coarser and will have more lift/rise. You have to be careful with the baking time as it has a tendency to be dry easily when you over bake it even for just few minutes. The small cake in this photo used cake flour.
- When using All-purpose flour – The cake will be more dense, soft and moist. The color will be darker/brownish. The big cake in this photo used all-purpose flour.
- When using the combination of cake and all-purpose flour – The cake will still be moist but it will not be too dense, kind of in between the texture of both.
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my SweetNSpicyLiving channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in any of my videos and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.