No oven? No problem! You can still serve an amazing dessert with this No Bake Fruits and Nuts Chocolate Cookie Bar. This is a refrigerator cake, cookie , bar or whatever you want to call it. This beauty is loaded with dried fruits , toasted nuts and crumbled crackers. Spoiler alert! I used my Homemade Graham Cracker Biscuit to make this chocolate cookie bar.
All you need to do is chop, toast, melt , mix , chill & slice. Sounds easy, huh? Yes, because it is easy and simple to make, but I guarantee you, you will love this. I immediately gave in when I started slicing it to take photograph. I love the texture that the chop nuts and crumbled crackers gave to this chocolate cookie bar. It’s crunchy, and the dried fruits gave a slight sweet and tangy taste that complements well with the melted dark chocolate. This actually reminds me of fruit cake, only this is mostly chocolate base, and of course, no baking needed 🙂 Oh so good! You have to try it to believe it. Let’s get started!
- 1 1/2 cups (220 grams) toasted nuts, chopped into small pieces (can use hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, cashew, pecans, and/or macadamia nuts) – You can toast your own nuts, or buy a package toasted nuts.
- 6 ounces (180 grams) Digestive cookies (or Graham Crackers, shortbread cookies and/or butter cookies). I used my Homemade Graham Crackers for this recipe.
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) chocolate covered raisins or dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, cherries, apricots, etc.). I used raisins and cranberries for this recipe.
- 10 ounces (300 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet/dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) butter, cut into small chunks. I used my favorite Hershey’s Dark Chocolate for this recipe.
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) corn syrup, golden syrup, honey, agave, or brown rice syrup. I used honey for this recipe.
Note : I only made half of the recipe for the photos shown here in my blog. I used a small loaf pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F (180 degree C). Line a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan with plastic wrap or foil and then lightly butter the foil, or spray with a non stick cooking spray.
- Toast the nuts. You can skip this step by using a package toasted nuts like what I did or you can use a toaster to toast the nuts, about 3-5 minutes.
- Toasting Hazelnuts: Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 13-15 minutes or until fragrant and the skins begin to flake (peel). Remove from oven and immediately cover the pan with a clean dish towel. Let the nuts sit (steam) for about 5 to 10 minutes and then briskly rub the nuts in the towel to remove the skins. Let cool and then chop the hazelnuts into small pieces.
- Toasting Almonds, Walnuts, and Pecans: Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 – 10 minutes or until lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool then chop coarsely.
- Melt the Chocolate: Then in a heatproof bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate, butter, and golden syrup. Turn-off the heat.
- Chop Biscuit: Meanwhile, break or chop the Digestive Biscuits/Graham Crackers into small pieces.
- Mix Nuts, Biscuit and Dried Fruits: In a large bowl, transfer the nuts, biscuit and raisins (or any dried fruits you are using) and mix to combine.
- Chocolate + Nuts and Dried Fruits: Add nuts, biscuit and dried fruits to the melted chocolate. Stir until combined.
- Transfer in a Pan: Spread this mixture into your prepared pan, press it as you pour it to make sure it is compact and no gaps or spaces in between. Sprinkle top with chopped pistachio. Fold the over hang aluminum foil and refrigerate for an hour or two, or until set , or leave overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cut: Slice to desired serving portion. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week. Or it can be frozen for about a month.
Before you go, please click on the “Like” button below if you like this post, or leave me a comment. I would like to hear from you.♥
Good to Know:
- The cake/bar soften easily in hot, humid temperature. It is best to always keep it in the refrigerator and take it out only when you are ready to serve
- Use a sharp plain knife to slice the cake/bar.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Recipe Adapted from : Joy of Baking