Soft and fluffy NO Bake Chocolate Cake in single serving ramekin, perfect portion for two or one if you don’t want to share. I won’t judge you, promise 🙂 otherwise that would be like judging myself for eating both of these alone.
I am so excited to share this recipe! I woke up this morning craving for something chocolatey, and guess what? I don’t have anything in my fridge that fits my craving. I wanted to have a chocolate cake or brownie, but I do not want to make an entire batch. I want a single serve, quick and satisfy chocolate cake. Something that I could have right now and no longer mixing and waiting.
My solution? Mug Cake baked in microwave! Yes, Molten Lava Chocolate Mug Cake, soft, moist, super chocolate and oozing with melted chocolate center. This definitely satisfied my craving, I could not helped myself but to dive in right after I took it out from the microwave. I cannot stopped eating it, it is seriously good.
I love it warm, because the center have that molten lava effect, that melting chocolate goodness! Best thing about this recipe, no oven needed, and in less than 10 minutes it is ready. Single serve, no leftover and perfect for quick desert that will never fail to please your craving. Yum! Let’s get started!
Tips in Making Mug Cake Recipes
- Anything microwaveable will work – Glasses, jars, ceramic ramekins, or even paper cups.
- Do not fill any mug more than half full – The cake will rise as it cooks, and putting more than half full will make it over spill. If using a regular mug, make sure to use mug that has big enough room when the cake rises. If you are using a bowl that is wide like what I have in the photo, the cake had enough room to rise even though it is more than half full. You might need to experiment on this to get the right mug size for your recipe. Always remember, bigger is better.
- Start with the minimum cook time of your recipe – Cooking time could vary depending on the microwave wattage and the size and shape of the mug. Check the cake by carefully touching the top. It should be firm and springy, not at all doughy. If it’s not done, keep cooking it in 10-second bursts. Once you get the baking time for your mug size, next time will be easier. You can just go straight to the determined microwave time.
- Sinking Happens – Mug cakes made using microwave usually rise and collapsed, this is normal. It will rise like a soufflé, and will quickly deflate as soon as the microwave stops. This is why it is important that you only fill it half full so that you don’t get overflow.
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 tablespoon melted Butter
- 2 tablespoon flavorless Oil
- 3 tablespoon whole Milk, at room temperature – You can also use 1 tablespoon powder milk dissolved in 3 tbsp water
- 1 Large Egg – at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 oz (28 grams) Semisweet/Dark Chocolate – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Dry Ingredients: In a 2-cup capacity microwave-safe mug, whisk flour,soda and salt until well combined.
- Wet Ingredients: Melt butter with milk in microwave. Stir and set aside to cool completely. Add oil, egg and whisk until fully combined.
4. Wet + Dry Ingredients: Mix the wet and dry ingredients until smooth.
5. Whisk well to combine, making sure to mix in the flour mixture in the bottom.
6. Pour the Batter into a mug/bowl/ramekins. Do not fill to the top, it between 1/2 – 3/4 full so that it have enough room when it starts to rise. If fill it to the top, the batter will drip to the side when it starts to rise and it will be too messy and it will not look good.
7. Place the chocolate pieces in the center of the mug. Do not push down; it will sink as it bakes. You can use any of your favorite chocolate. This is the main secret of making the center moist.
8. Drizzle the tablespoon of water right on top of the batter. This is another secret in making this cake moist, so don’t skip it.
9. Cook in microwave on full power for 45 seconds first. The cake will deflate when the microwave stops. Microwave for another 15 seconds then check the top. It should spring back, If not yet set, continue for another 10 seconds to 20 seconds, then stop again and check. The photo below is after 1 minute in the microwave.
Time could vary depending in your microwave power. In my microwave, it works for 1 minute and 10 seconds. To be safe, start at 1 minute or until the cake rises to the top, the edges look set but the center looks slightly wet and shiny but not raw, and sticks slightly to the finger when touched. Do NOT over bake to ensure that saucy, molten lava interior. If the center still looks raw then give it another 5 to 10 seconds. The cake will fall after it comes out of the microwave. The photo below is after 1 minute and 10 seconds in the microwave. You can see the side started to lift away from the side of the mug, but the top is still slightly moist.
Let it cool for about 5 minutes so you don’t burn your tongue, but the waiting also help thicken the sauce in the bottom. This cake is best eaten the same day you make it, but can be kept in fridge and reheat in microwave for 10 seconds.
This photo is after few seconds of taking it out from the microwave. The top is not too wet anymore, it started to cool down.
- A short mug with a wide mouth works best for this recipe as it rises a lot when it bakes. If not available, a small bowl could be used instead. To know if your mug/or bowl is the right size, pour 2 cups of water in it and this should fill it to the top. You also could divide the batter into 2 ramekins dish (minimum 3×2-inch)
- Bake Option: If trying to avoid the microwave, this cake could be baked in a 400F/200C oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Brownie A la Mode In a Mug
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- Chocolate Brownie Mug Sundae
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- No Bake Chocolate Mug Cake
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA