If you feel like making this Apple Turnover and you do not have any Puff Pastry at home, worry no more because I have here a short video on how to make your own Puff Pastry at home, the SIMPLIFIED way. No folding, no long wait, just simple easy steps that is guaranteed to give you a nice butter flaky Homemade Puff Pastry.
There are foods that I love, and there are those foods that I occasionally like. Apple desserts falls into the later category. It is not something that order when I am at a restaurant, but It is definitely something that I like to make.
Am I making you confused? Well, here’s the thing. I like making them, that is for sure.I love the process of making it, I love the nice texture of the apple when used for desserts, I love the way the apples look when used for desserts, but most of all, I love seeing people and friends enjoying eating it when I make apple desserts.
I like eating them myself, but it has to be according to my preference, this is why I prefer to make my own. That preference is, no apple overload. Just a small portion of apple filling, and more of the crispy puff pastry layer or buttery creamy pie crust. If it is prepared that way, then, that I LOVE.
This is how I made my apple desserts, including this Apple Turnover. This one is really good, as in good. Even my friends who doesn’t like eating apple desserts love this Apple Turnover. For me, it has to be a balance between the amount of filling and the pastry dough. But hey, if you love apple overload, then feel free to overload it. Enjoy your pie the way you love it. Let’s get started!
- Homemade Apple Filling
- Puff Pastry (Homemade or Store-bought)
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water (for egg wash) – optional
- 1 tbsp sugar to sprinkle on top before baking
- 1/3 cup Confectioners Sugar/Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp milk or water
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 4000F.
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 4″x4″ squares, or any size or shape that you like.
- Make Egg Wash: In a small bowl whisk together egg and 1 tsp water. Lightly brush around the perimeter of each square on all sides, creating a border.
- Fill: Spoon 1-2 tbsp of the Apple Filling into the center of the square. Do not be tempted to put more as you will have difficulty sealing it.
- Seal: Fold pastry over to create a triangle, and with a fork that has been dipped in flour, press all the edges of the pastry down to create a seal.
- Chill: Put in the freezer minimum 15 minutes to get the pastry really cold before baking. You can freeze it longer (1-2 weeks) and bake when needed. Wrap it in foil and put in a zip lock bag. Remove the foil and bake straight from the freezer, no need to thaw.
- Brush with Egg Wash: Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush the tops of the turnovers with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with sugar (about 1/8 tsp).
- Bake: Place turnovers in a preheated oven. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the turnovers are golden brown and puffed up. When baking frozen pie, add 5 (or more) minutes or until turnovers are golden brown and puffed up.
- Cinnamon Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together confectioners sugar, water or milk and cinnamon. Stir until smooth and fluid. If you like a thicker glaze, add more sugar.
- Serve: Drizzle top of each turnovers with cinnamon glaze.
Makes 4 large pieces
Other Fall Favorites:
Thank You for visiting my website. If you like this post, kindly click the “Like” button below or better yet leave me a comment and share your thoughts on this recipe.