Cheers to the season of soup and more soup. I am excited to share with you my second favorite soup, Creamy and super delicious Tomato Basil Soup. I have to admit that I never had Tomato Basil Soup until the first time I went to Disneyland in California. They have Tomato Soup meal with Grilled Cheese and it was amazingly delicious! I immediately fell in love with this soup. I had this soup almost everyday that I was there, and still cannot get over it.
When I came back from my vacation, I still have that Tomato Soup in my mind. Every time I eat out, I looked for Tomato Soup in the menu and I ordered it. Sad to say, I never had the luck to find something as good as the one in Disney.
I had decided to stop looking for it, and start making my own. I had several attempts, and none of them I could consider something that I would be proud of sharing with someone, until I made this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup.
I wouldn’t say that this is as good as the one in Disney, but I am happy with it. It taste good, it’s creamy but it still retains the taste of tomato and basil. I added chilli peppers to give it a little kick, and that sealed the deal for me. So, if you are looking for a super delicious Tomato Soup recipe, this is the one. Trust me, I tried several recipes and so far this is the best among the rest. Let’s get started!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil , chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the chopped onions. Add salt and pepper. Saute the onion about 8 minutes until they turn translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and stir to cook the flour for 1 minute. Will look like a paste. Slowly stir in the vegetable or chicken stock, whisking the whole time so the flour doesn’t clump. Then add the canned tomatoes and basil. You can either transfer to a slow cooker and cook over low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, or cook it on the stove top by bringing it to a boil, about 30 minutes, then cover and reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 more minutes. The consistency will start to thickens.
- Remove the lid, and either use an immersion blender or stand blender (careful when blending hot liquids in a stand blender!). Blend until the soup is creamy. Then stir in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Heat soup for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the soup is warm. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Leftovers will keep for 1 week in an airtight container. Freezes beautifully. See notes for freezing tips.
Good to know:
If you’re planing to freeze the soup, after blending it with a blender, scoop out the amount of soup you want to freeze BEFORE adding the cheese and heavy cream.When you are ready to eat it, bring to a boil then add cream and parmesan cheese. This will keep frozen in an airtight container for 6 months.
If you like this post, kindly give that “Like”button below a click, or leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community cooking!♥
Recipe Adapted from: Taste Lovely with my own modifications