Spring, spring, spring, spring!! I welcomed Spring with this lovely and colourful Baked Blueberry Donuts. Yes, bake NOT fried! Just like the Strawberry Donut and Bake Chocolate Cake Donut.
I was never a fan of donut until I discovered the baked donut version. This donut is soft, fluffy, light and they are baked not fried. Normally, I can only eat 1 donut, but with this baked version, I can finish 2 easily and I wouldn’t mind a 3rd too.
I made half of the batter into a regular size donut pan, and the other half with my mini donut pan. They are so cute and irresistible! These mini donuts are perfect for tea time or snack time or anytime you feel like donut. Since they are baked, you don’t feel the heavy greasy feeling compared when you eat a fried donut.
The glaze uses actual blueberry puree mixed with the icing sugar. The slightly sour taste of blueberry reduced the sweetness of the glaze, and the tiny bits of blueberry skin gave the glaze texture and extra flavor. Why buy a fried donut when you can make and bake it a home? Try this and I guarantee that you will not regret it. Let’s get started!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or any flavorless oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk ( You can make homemade buttermilk by adding 1 tsp of lemon or white vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk. Leave it for 5 minutes before using)
- 1 egg – room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a bowl, combine oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and gently fold until batter comes together. Do not over mix to avoid getting a tough donut.
- Pour batter into piping bag and pipe into already greased donut pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees:
- Regular Size Donut Pan: 12 minutes until golden brown.
- Mini Size Donut Pan: 10 minutes
- Let cool completely while working on glaze.
Makes 12 regular size donuts
Instructions for the glaze:
- In a mini food processor, blend blueberries until puree.
- In a bowl, mix powdered sugar and puree blueberries. Add 1 tbsp of blueberry at a time to allow you to check the consistency of glaze that you like. Mix until smooth and no more lumps.
- Once donuts have cooled, dip into glaze and let the glaze firm up on a cooling rack.
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!