If you are like me who love to bake and cook but cannot eat much, then small batch recipes are the best thing ever. When I first started baking, I remembered how I used to bake those big cakes that served 6-8 people and sometimes even more. I enjoyed it, it’s fun and huge cakes are beautiful. It made me feel so happy and accomplished, but I always had the problem finishing it.
I normally bring my baked goodies at work, but even after sharing it with my friends, there are still few slices or pieces which is left for me to finish. This is what started me to scale big recipes to make it small batch.
Small batch recipe, as I said is the best thing ever, at least for someone like me who leave alone. The serving portion is just perfect and it gave me more opportunity to bake other stuff. This way, I get to enjoy it more without having to feel pressure of finishing it. Although it is a small batch, it still perfect for sharing.
Since chocolate cake is one of the basic must have recipe, I thought it would be nice to share this recipe in my blog. I had tried quite a few small bath chocolate cake recipe, and so far this one is the best.
I am so glad when I found this, since then, I had been using it to make my mini chocolate cakes. This is very simple, just like my Simple Chocolate Cake recipe, but this one is small batch. Let’s get started!
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (like canola)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coffee powder – optional
For the Ganache: 2 batches Chocolate Ganache
For Almond Truffles: Almond Truffles
Make ahead tip: Both Chocolate Ganache and Almond Truffles can be made ahead of time. Store in the fridge. Reheat the Chocolate Ganache in microwave in 15 seconds interval until it comes back to a smooth and liquid state.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Line a 6″ round cake pan (with 2″ sides) with parchment paper on the bottom, and lightly grease the sides with oil. I used my mini individual square pan instead, and sprayed it with oil.
- Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, sour cream or greek yogurt, egg, vanilla and coffee (if using any).
- Add dry ingredients mixing just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake.
- for 6-inch round pan: 29-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. If you under-bake the cake, it will slightly sink, so check it! It will also start to pull away from the sides when it’s done.
- For 12 mini square pan: 18 – 20 minutes
- Remove the cake from the pan by carefully tilting it into one hand, peel off the parchment from the bottom, and then place it on a small cake stand. If using a pan like mine, run spatula around and tap the pan to remove individual piece.
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
- Slice the cake in the middle and spread Chocolate Ganache in the center. I added some whipped cream in the Ganache for the center to make it thicker and fluffy, around 4 tbsp. Since I used individual square, I did not have to slice it. I just used 2 pieces to sandwich the frosting in the middle.
- Cover with the other half of the cake. Pour 2nd batch of Chocolate Ganache , this time make it without adding any whipped cream. This will make the consistency runny and good for pouring. Just 1 tbsp of milk at a time until the consistency is pourable.
- Top with Almond Truffles or any desired decorations/toppings.
Be creative and decorate and design the cake as you wish. The main intention of this post is to give you the basic small batch Chocolate Cake recipe. I made some Almond Truffles over the weekend and I thought it would be a nice to use this to make Almond Truffles Cake.
Quote of the Day
There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” ~ Linda Grayson
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.