Let’s put more veggies into your meals with this veggie disguise as Pasta. This Spaghetti Squash Kale and Tomato taste like a rice noodles to me. Just add chicken for protein and your lunch or dinner is solved! This was inspired by my Baked Four Cheese and Garlic Spaghetti Squash post which turned out so well, so I thought why not another one. Variation is always good to make good more interesting and fun to eat. Let’s get started!
- 1 lb spaghetti squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
How to cut and prepare the spaghetti squash
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Poke holes all over the squash with a fork or a knife, then microwave for 2 minutes. The squash that I used is 1.09 lb, increase the time as needed if your squash is bigger. The idea is not to cook the squash, but to soften the skin of the squash a little bit for easier cutting.
- Remove from the microwave and let cool.
- Cut the squash into half. Start by trimming the hard end of the squash. Using a sharp small knife, create a shallow cut end to end. This will serve as a mark that you can follow. Using a big knife, cut the squash into half, following the line that you have created.
- Remove the seeds and clean the center.
- Drizzle olive oil and brush all throughout the squash.
- Bake for 40 minutes. The bigger the squash, the longer baking time you need. You have to check it at least every 30 minutes to see if the center is already soft but not mushy. You don’t want to over bake it as you will end up with a mushy squash and the strand of the squash will be deformed.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until you can handle it.
- Using a fork, gently scrape the squash. If you cook it right, it should come off easily without any effort.
- Transfer in a bowl. refrigerate of use immediately as desired. Now you have a healthy gluten-free pasta alternative.
How do you use it?
Spaghetti squash can be used in variety of ways. You can used it as a replacement for pasta, I guess that’s the main idea of spaghetti squash. It goes well with white and cream based sauce, or just plain butter and garlic with herbs and spices. You can also use it as side dish to meat like Chicken , Beef , Lamb and even Fish. For this post, I made Kale and Tomato Spaghetti Squash. If you prefer something cheesy, checkout my Baked Four Cheese and Garlic Spaghetti Squash post, it’s super delicious!
- Spaghetti Squash – prepared as per instructions above
- 1/2 cup kale – cut into small pieces (Can also be replaced with Spinach)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomato or sun-dried tomato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted walnut or pecans (Toast in oven for 5 minutes or until fragrant).
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette – optional
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
Make it Kale, Tomato and Chicken Spaghetti Squash:
- 1/2 cup diced chicken breast – sautéed and cooked
- Prepare the spaghetti squash as per instructions above.
- If you are making it with chicken: Saute chicken in olive oil until cook through. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the garlic. Saute until garlic is slightly brown. Add chopped kale. Cover and cook until kale has wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes, spaghetti squash, salt and pepper, and chicken (if using). Continue cooking and stirring until all of the ingredients are well-combined and heated through.Do not over cook to avoid getting the squash mushy.
- Add balsamic vinaigrette (optional).
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community eating healthy!♥