I had been so busy these past few days and I cannot even find the time to prepare my meals. Good thing, there are recipes like this one that is simple and easy to make, and can even be made ahead of time.
This Kale and Quinoa bowl is very simple, but packed with healthy stuff to fuel me from my busy bee day. I love it specially with egg on top, or with some grilled chicken or salmon for heavier lunch option.
The Sweet Potato and Quinoa provided the carbs for this meal, the Kale gave a crunchy texture and the Egg sealed the deal for me. This is almost like a brunch kind of meal. Let’s get started!
- 2 medium size sweet potato – diced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup White onion – chopped
- 1/4 cup canned black beans
- 1/4 cup quinoa – cook as per package instructions
- 2 tbsp walnut or pecans – optional
- 2 tbsp dried cranberry – optional
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cook Quinoa. Boil about 1/3 cup of water and add the quinoa. Cook over low heat for 5 – 10 minutes. Check after 5 minutes, sometimes quinoa tend to absorb water easily. Add more water as needed. After 10 minutes, turn-off the stove and leave the Quinoa covered for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel and cut sweet potato in cubes. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat sweet potato with oil.
- Transfer in greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, turning each sides after every 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat a pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add sweet potato, black beans and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn-off the heat and add chopped kale. Mix to combine. The remaining heat should be enough to soften the kale. If you want your kale fully cooked and wilted, turn-on the heat and cook until you achieved the texture that you prefer.
- Add cooked quinoa and mix to combine.
- Transfer in a bowl and top egg, nuts and dried cranberry.
- Add some grilled chicken or salmon for protein – optional
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community eating healthy!