This is a simple and quick pineapple filling that can be used for Cake, Tart, Pie and Piña Colada Crumb Bars. It is not as thick, heavy and sweet as regular jam like Strawberry Jam, Blackberry Jam or Raspberry Jam, but it does have really nice texture and taste. I used canned crushed pineapple for this recipe making it even easier to make. I haven’t tried using fresh pineapple, but I think that would work fine too, with minor adjustment in amount of sugar and cooking time. Let’s get started!
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice – optional
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract – optional
- In a large sauce pan, mix together crushed pineapple (including the juice), sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 25 – 30 minutes or until the pineapple mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Add vanilla extract and stir.
- Set aside to cool.
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Good to Know:
- I have not tried using fresh pineapple but I think it will work as well but you have to adjust the sugar depending on how sweet the pineapple. The sweeter the pineapple, the lesser sugar you will need. You might also need to increase the cooking time until the pineapple totally soften and the sauce thickens. This recipe is the quick version because you do not need to peel and cut the pineapple.
Are you ready for some hands-on practice? Check out my Piña Colada Crumb Bars and put this amazing and simple homemade pineapple filling to use.