You will never know when you will be hit with a Red Velvet Cake or Carrot Cake craving, and so when that happens, it is very handy to have Cream Cheese Frosting recipe ready for you. Making Cream Cheese Frosting is not complicated at all. As you can see, all it takes is mixing all ingredients together, and you are set to piping or spreading. Let’s get started!
Small Batch Ingredients:
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar – sifted to remove lumps
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
Note: Small batch can frost 3-4 cupcakes
Big Batch Ingredients:
- 8 oz of softened cream cheese
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups of powdered sugar – sifted to remove lumps
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
Note: Small batch can frost 12 or more cupcakes
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting: Fold 1/4 -1/2 cup whipped cream after mixing all the ingredients.
This variation is great for spreading instead of piping as the consistency is a little bit soft and runny. This is great to use for cakes where you want a lighter spreadable cream cheese frosting on top.
- Using an electric mixer (medium speed), beat together the butter and the cream cheese until combined and smooth, around 1-2 minutes.
- Starting with low-speed and increasing to medium speed, add the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth and well-combined, around 2-3 minutes.
- It is very important that both the cream cheese and butter are in room temperature. When you press your finger on top, it should leave a hollow dent. That tells you that it is in the right softness. You don’t want it overly soft and melted. That will result in a runny and oily frosting.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥