I am a chocolate lover, you can tell right? Double the chocolate, double the fun. There is nothing better than double double. I had been making different variations of banana bread from Strawberry Banana Loaf Bread, Chocolate Chips Banana Bread and Banana Sponge Bread but this is so far my favorite of them all.
Maybe I am being biased because I am all for chocolate, but this Double Chocolate Banana Bread is really insanely sinfully and chocolatey delicious. I had this for breakfast, chocolate and banana for breakfast, what could be better?
Eating this is what I call my simple pleasure in life. Happiness could be described in different ways, but right now, all I can think of is “Happiness is enjoying my morning with every bite of this Double Chocolate Banana Bread” 🙂 Yummy! Let’s get started!
This banana bread has a very soft and moist texture, and a double treat of chocolate flavor. Banana bread can never get better than this. Let’s get started!
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 2 large bananas with black spots on the skin)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola, vegetable, or corn oil
- 3/4 cup (165 grams) light brow sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder – sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Chocolate Ganache – optional
- If you do not have yogurt, replace yogurt with 1 egg and additional 1 banana
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Spray an 8 x 4 inch (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan with a nonstick vegetable cooking spray or line the pan with parchment paper. You can also use a smaller or bigger pan size but you have to adjust the baking time.
- Banana Mixture: In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the baking soda and yogurt. I used fork to mashed the banana. Allow to sit while you prepare the rest of the batter. The mixture will start to bubble, that’s fine.
- Wet Ingredients: Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Dry Ingredients: In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- Combine the banana mixture with the wet ingredients mixture.
- Add banana mixture and wet ingredients mixture to the dry ingredients mixture. Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Stir just until all the ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix as this could result to a tough bread.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan lined with parchment paper and smooth the top. Sprinkle the top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 45 – 55 minutes, or until the center is firm to touch. The toothpick inserted at the center might not be a good test to use since there are chocolate chips that would melt and this could mislead you to think that it is not done yet.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing.
- Prepare Chocolate Ganache (if using). Pour ganache on top of the bread.
Makes one loaf (about 12 slices).
I also have Chocolate Chip Banana Bread which a nice option if you do not like too much chocolate. Check it out.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!