Have you tried the Jalapeno Cheddar and Parmesan Cornbread recipe that I have in my website? It’s amazing, especially if you like a little bit of heat and plenty of cheese flavor. It has a little bit of loose crumbly bread texture and it is lighter too. This week, I made the Classic Cornbread Muffins, no cheese and no jalapeno to distract me from the classic flavor. I just want the cornbread muffins that I used to have when I was back home in the Philippines, plain, simple but delicious.
The simplicity of classic recipes never failed to impress me. They may be simple, but they are big in flavor and taste even with just the use of basic ingredients. I am a fan of making variations, for me, the more options the better especially when it comes to food. But classic recipes always have its way if coming back to me. No matter how many variations I make, I will always revisit the classic version, Just like this cornbread.
It’s been so many years since I had my favorite cornbread muffin in Philippines. I’m not even sure if the restaurant chain where we used to buy it is still open. Although it’s been years ago, I still remembered how it tasted and how it looks like. Those muffins were almost the size of mini muffins, it taste buttery, it’s slightly soft with grainy texture from corn flour and it has the right sweetness. It maybe small, but it’s taste absolutely amazing. It’s not an exaggeration, until now I haven’t found the one that could replace those muffins.
Those memories inspired me to make my own cornbread muffin. I am not going to even compare this to that muffin, because even I cannot recreate the taste of that muffin. This muffin is my own classic version, it’s simple and easy to make and it taste really good.
This muffin is soft with a grainy and slightly crumbly texture attributed from corn flour. It has the right balance of sweetness and saltines, it has a prominent buttery taste and best of all, the top and edges are slightly crunchy texture. Yes it’s plain, but it’s absolutely delicious. Try it to believe. Let me show you how I did it. Let’s get started!
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs – room temperature
- 2 tbsp flavorless oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 + 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (45 seconds microwave)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese – optional
- PREHEAT oven to 350F and spray a 12-cup muffin pan with oil. Make sure to coat the pan properly to avoid sticking. A muffin liner could also be used if that is the preference.
- WHISK flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- BEAT: Using a hand mixer, beat eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy (3-5 minutes).
- STIR: Stir flour mixture until just combined.
- POUR: Pour milk and butter and gradually mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- TRANSFER: Pour batter into prepared pan. If you want to add cheese on top, this is the time to do it.
- BAKE: Divide among prepared cups and bake until a tester inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 19 – 21 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm. This muffins bakes fast, so make sure to watch the time. If the side starts to brown too early, cover he top with aluminim foil and continue baking.
- SPREAD BUTTER: Spread butter on top while muffins are still hot. An absolute MUST, believe me 🙂
Best enjoy while still warm. Re-heat leftover in toaster or oven for 10 minutes at 300F then a brush butter on top.
Makes 7 pieces
Thank You for visiting my website. If you like this post, kindly click on the “Like” button or leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.