Let me show you how easy it is to make your own puff pastry at home. Watch till the end to see what can make with this puff pastry. Enjoy!
A recipe for everyday and holiday appetizers are always handy to have. You’ll never know when you’ll have to entertain guest and having something in the freezer that you could just easily pull out for emergency appetizers are a comforting thought.
I like waking up in the morning especially during weekends and knowing that I could make myself some homemade breakfast without going through so much hazzle. This is why I love puff pastry. This pastry is going to be you best friend especially during the holiday season. Regardless if you want to make a sweet or savory appetizer, puff pastry will never fail to deliver the quality of appetizer that your guest will love. Best of all, they look fantastic and easy to prepare!
What kind of puff pastry to buy?
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pcs per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
It’s not as if this is difficult to make, but I just want to make your life even more easier by letting you know that this can be prepared ahead of time. Do everything until step 5 (cutting the dough) then put it in a big ziplock bag so as not to crowd the dough. Keep it in the freezer and take it out when you are ready to bake it. So easy! I know that we are not supposed to return the puff pastry in the freezer once it’s been thawed, but I tried it anyway and it still works fine for me.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan (or more if desired)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 tsp Italian herb blend (dried thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp dries parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 sheet refrigerated puff pastry (I have easy Homemade Puff Pastry recipe if you want to do it by yourself)
- Preheat you oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a cast iron pan for a more crunchy texture.
- In a small pan, put olive oil, garlic powder or minced garlic, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and peppers and mix just to combine. Heat for 3 minutes or until fragrant. We only want to extract the spices flavor, NOT toast the garlic (if using fresh). Set aside to cool completely.
- Roll out the puff pastry. Brush top with garlic mixture and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top, then roll into a thin log shape.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes. This will make the cutting easier and will help maintain the shape when cut.
- Cut into 8 small rolls (diagonally) about 1 or 2-inch thick.
- Place the rolls onto the prepared baking sheet or cast iron pan and brush each with the remaining garlic and parmesan mixture. Sprinkle top with more parmesan cheese and paprika. It is best to use a baking sheet or pan with high side because the oil with come out while the puff bakes.
- Place into oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and remove oil dripping. You can also transfer it to another baking sheet or pan. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, brushed with the remaining garlic and parmesan mixture.
Note: Check oven regularly when baking. If the top turns brown fast, cover top with aluminum foil and continue baking.
Makes 8 pieces
There you go! A super easy appetizer for your next get together. Thank You for visiting my website. If you like this recipe, kindly click on the “Like“button below. Thanks!