Let me show you how easy it is to make your own puff pastry at home. Watch till the end to see what can make with this puff pastry. Enjoy!
Since its holiday season, parties will be happening left and right, I’ve decided to do few quick and easy appetizer using the very versatile puff pastry. Have you seen my Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs yet? You have to check it, it’s another fantastic idea for party appetizer. You are going to fall in love with puff pastry once you see the endless possibilities you can use it for. I have a separate post for my Homemade Puff Pastry, but if you don’t have time, you can always buy it them at grocery stores in the freezer section. Actually, for big parties and gathering where you don’t have made time to prepare everything, I would suggest grab those boxes of puff pastry in the grocery.
What Type of Puff Pasty to Buy
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pieces per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
For this appetizer, I used my BBQ Pulled Chicken. I suggest you make the pulled chicken ahead time then store it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. That will make you life easier big time. Once the pulled chicken is prepared, all you have to do is to cut the puff pastry and top with pulled chicken, so easy!
I like this crispy and crunchy, so I prefer to bake it few hours before the gathering. I don’t suggest making it ahead of time or overnight. The puff pastry will start to soften and it will lose the appeal of a crispy, puffy and crunchy pastry bites. Let’s get started!
- BBQ Pulled Chicken or Braised Meat
1 Puff Pastry (Homemade or store-bought)
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Water
- 1/2 cup mix Shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Prepare the meat of your choice, BBQ Pulled Chicken or Braised Meat. This can be prepared ahead of time.
- Roll puff pastry and cut into 16 small squares. If you are making your own puff pastry, flatten and roll it into 1/4-inch thick.
- Prepare the egg wash by mixing egg + water. Mix until combined.
- Brush the edges of each piece with egg wash. This will give a nice browning when baked.
- Portion the meat filling in the center, about 1 tbsp each.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are puff-up.
- Remove from the oven and top center with cheese, about 1 tsp or more if you can stack it up properly.
- Return to the oven and bake just until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and serve while hot and crispy.
Makes 16 pieces
My Latest Video
Other Appetizer Ideas:
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Puff Pastry Jalapeño and Cheese Bites
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs
- Make-Ahead Appetizer: Mini Pigs in a Blanket
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Melt
- Mini Chocolate Puff Pastry Croissant
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Margherita Puff Pastry Bites
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA