It’s Meat Free Monday and we are doing pasta today! We are going to have something cheesy today, super cheesy and super delicious. You wouldn’t miss the meat with this Vegetarian Lasagna because it’s loaded with plenty of good stuff that replaces the meat, and it has lots of cheese which in my experience always makes food better, that and chocolate of course. It’s just difficult for me to resist a dish that is oozing with melting cheese on top, I think that is basically the selling point of lasagna. So regardless meaty or meatless as long as it loaded with cheese, it will taste good. I myself was surprised on how good this turned out to the point that I actually look forward to eating it again. It’s so filling, and I’m really serious that I did not actually miss the meaty version when I was eating this one.
I made a Small Batch Meaty Lasagna last year and I was really pleased on how it turned out. I told myself I had to make a vegetarian version of that lasagna and it has to be sooner than later. There are different ways and ingredients that you can use to make a Vegetarian Lasagna. My version used eggplant, zucchini, spinach, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.
Make-ahead dish are perfect for busy days, for short notice meal or just for emergency food that I can easily pull out of the freezer anytime I like. This is one thing I like about lasagna, it is a great make-ahead and it freezes well. Since making the pasta sauce is what normally takes most of the time, this is one that you can make ahead too. So basically this is how you do it ahead of time.
- Make the Pasta Sauce – I have a 1 Step Instant Pasta Sauce recipe, check it out. You can store it in the refrigerator or in the freezer. If coming from the freezer, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or microwave before using it then drain to remove excess liquid but don’t throw the liquid sauce. You can still use it for your pasta. You want to use the sauce with less liquid as possible so that the lasagna will not turn out soggy and watery.
- Assemble: The day before you want to make it, assemble the lasagna and then cover it with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator and bake the following day as per recipe instruction. You can also freeze baked lasagna and reheat in the oven or microwave when ready to serve.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce or Homemade Instant Pasta Sauce
- 3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese (more or less depending on how many layers you are making)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella Cheese (more or less depending on how many layers you are making)
- Zucchini – 3 Slices cut lengthwise or cut it to fit the size of your baking dish/pan
- Eggplant – 2 Slices cut lengthwise or cut it fit the size of your baking dish/pan
- Make the Pasta Sauce: I used my Homemade Instant Pasta Sauce, you can also store-bought marinara sauce.
- Cook pasta as per package instructions. If you are using an oven ready lasagna noodles, you can use it as is without pre-cooking it. If you are using the non oven ready, have the pasta half cook only as it will continue to cook once in the oven.
- Arrange the pasta in a baking dish. Bottom layer pasta, and arrange the vegetables in layers. You can arrange it in the order that you like. I did 1st layer as pasta, pasta sauce, eggplant cheese then second layer pasta, pasta sauce, zucchini, ricotta cheese and spinach, the third layer pasta, pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese. Add sprinkle of parsley and paprika on top for garnishing (optional)
- Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Set aside to let cool slightly before slicing. Enjoy!
There you go, your Lasagna is ready to serve! Thank you for visiting my website. If you like this recipe, kindly click on the “Like” button below. Thanks!