This Mushroom Alfredo Spaghetti Squash is a good way to enjoy a cream based pasta with less guilt. It’s creamy, and it taste like real pasta.
I went bonkers when I discovered about spaghetti squash, that was last year but until now it still have that crazy excited effect on me whenever I think of it. It’s a perfect replacement for real pasta noodles without compromising the taste. It was satisfying, I did not even miss the taste of real pasta when I was eating it. I enjoyed every spoonful of it.
Spaghetti squash taste like a glass noodle, like vermicelli. The thin transparent Asian noodles if your familiar with it. The texture matched perfectly with this Mushroom Alfredo. This Mushroom Alfredo is creamy, perfectly seasoned and it taste really good. The sautéed mushroom and onions replaced the meat and it worked out just how I want to be.
I used regular low-fat milk in making the cream sauce as opposed to traditional cream. I wanted to test if it would work, and it did. I still got the nice thick and creamy sauce even after using a low fat milk. You can also replace milk with coconut cream if you want to make it with less dairy. You’ll get a nice coconut cream sauce, a little bit different but in a good way. I only used 1/3 cup of milk, if you want the sauce thinner,add 1-2 tbsp more of liquid.
I totally get you if you want to add more cheese, I normally sneak in few tbsp of cheese when I ate it. This is super easy to make, just a couple of tips on how to prepare and cut the spaghetti squash because that’s the most challenging part in making this. If you follow these tips, your preparation will be easy breezy. Checkout my post How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash
Now that we got that covered, Let’s get started!
- 600g spaghetti squash
- 225g Mushroom (about 2 cups) – sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley (or 1 tbsp fresh, it doesn’t have to be exact)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup COLD milk (low fat milk, almond milk or coconut milk will work too) or cream for a thicker sauce
- 1/8 so black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the spaghetti squash. Check this post on how to do that How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash
- In a heated pan, add olive oil, garlic and onion. Cook until fragrant and translucent.
- Add mushroom and cook until water has evaporated. Add salt, pepper and dried parsley. Add cooked spaghetti squash and parmesan cheese, cook for another 1 minute. Do not over cook as it will be mushy. Remove from the pan and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Sauce: Using the same pan, add butter and melt. Add flour and stir quickly to avoid lumps. Pour cold milk while continuously stirring. Add cheese, salt and pepper. Continue stirring until the sauce starts to thicken. It should be thick but fluid, not clumping.
- Pour over spaghetti squash. Season to taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Sprinkle top with cheese (optional).
- Alternatively, you can also mix in the sauce with the spaghetti squash. Toss to combine.
Thank You for visiting my website. If you like this post, kindly click on the “Like” button below.