If I am going to use one word to describe this tacos, that would be “Amazing”, just plain amazing. It’s a perfect easy light dinner option, and also a perfect snack for summer outing, it cannot get any better than this.
Tacos is one thing that I love the most among other savory dishes. Although some people might consider this as a snack, I’m happy to have this as my full meal in any day of the week. It got all the things that enjoy in my food. A sweet and spicy protein from shredded chicken cooked in pine apple tomato sauce, a nice fresh vegetables from my homemade Shrimp Avocado salsa, and a nice grilled slices of pineapple, yum!
I could have this any day of the week and any season of the year, but for some reason (like warm nice weather) I particularly enjoy this a lot more during summer especially when paired with nice ice cold homemade lemonade, because summer for me is the perfect time to make homemade treats. I still like to enjoy being at home when the weather becomes too hot to go out, and what better way than to pamper myself with my summer favorite foods.
What made this tacos especial is the sauce, the spicy sweet sauce that coats the shredded chicken alone gave flavor to the dish. All the other toppings and sides are add ons, but even without them this tacos tasted like you Ate out at a restaurant. The sauce was made from a combination of simple ingredients. Pineapple juice as the base liquid, brown sugar for the sweet taste, ketchup for the nice light tomato taste and to thicken it, and basic seasonings which means plenty of hot spices for me. You can opt for less if you don’t like it spicy. Marinating is optional but I find that the chicken tasted better when marinated and simmered with the sauce until reduced. It would take that much time, about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast, but as soon as the chicken is cook through, it can be manually shredded and returned back in the pan until the sauce is reduced. That’s all to it. I like having the pineapple grilled, taste better as it slightly caramelized ad it grills and it looks nicer too presentation wise. But again, you can opt to have it fresh or straight from the can.
The garnishing and toppings as up to you I used my Homemade Shrimp Avocado Salsa absolutely delicious, it’s even to good to eat in its own, give a try and check the recipe here. Then I added few sprinkle of chopped onion and cilantro on top, and a nice squeeze of lime. I’m loving my Summer this way. Give it a try, and please let me know how it goes. Let me how you how I made it, let’s get started now.
- 1 boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 sliced pineapple ( I used the canned sliced pineapple) – cut into 8-10 pieces
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 pineapple slices
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 cup salsa (I used my Shrimp Avocado Salsa)
- 4 mini tortilla
Note: Reduce chili flakes if you don’t like it spicy
- In a heated pan, add 1 tsp oil. Cook the chicken for 2 minutes each side just to have it half way cook.
- In a separate pan, transfer the chicken, add pineapple juice, water, brown sugar, pineapple salt, ketchup, chili flakes and black pepper. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes on medium heat. Take out the chicken from the pan and use a fork to shred it. Return the shredded chicken into the pan and continue cooking until the sauce is reduced (about 5-8 minutes more). Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Distribute shredded chicken on top of tortilla. Garnish with salsa, chopped cilantro, onion and pineapple slices.
Makes 4 mini tortillas
Recent Video: Strawberry Pancake
Thank You for visiting my website. Please SHARE and SUBSCRIBE to my channel and don’t forget to click on the “Like” button below if you like this recipe.