It’s filing and a full meal on its own even without the meat, it’s my Vegetarian Beans Chili. There’s different type of soup, from smooth and creamy, to broth style soup, noodles soup and porridge style soup, and there’s thick and chunky soup, I think the later is where this Chili will fit in. A delicious filling soup that is very easy to make.
This soup has a lot of texture and flavor, it’s loaded with vegetables and quite filling, it’s more than just a side soup, it’s a meal on its own. One good thing about this soup is it is very budget friendly as can feed a huge group of people, I would say 5 and that for me is a lot considering I usually cook the most for 2-3 serving. That’s the thing with leaving alone, I have to be creative in scaling down recipes to make a small batch. For this soup I did not bother to scale it down because this soup is good for freezing. During Fall and Winter, having something filling and hearty in my freezer is something that I welcome. It’s so easy to just grab a pack and reheat it especially during busy days.
Mix and Match Vegetables That You Like
This soup is also very flexible, that’s another good thing with this. You can add or remove vegetables that you like or don’t like, I used beans to make the stew filling since there is no meat and used mostly basic vegetables like potato, carrots, pepper and corn.
This stew is great and flavorful as it is, but I like serving it bread and poached egg on top and lots of grated cheese. If you are interested how to make poached egg, check out my post “How To Poached Eggs“, it’s not as difficult as it sounds, promise. Let me show you how I made this Chili. Let’s get started and let’s keep our self warm.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup (45 grams) yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1 small (1 tbsp, 10 grams) jalapeño, minced and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) Potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) carrots – diced
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomato
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp salt (Add gradually so you can adjust to your preference)
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) combination of green/yellow/red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) kernel corn (can or frozen)
- 1 Can (540 ml) mix beans, drained and rinsed
- In a heated pan, add oil, garlic and onion. Saute until fragrant and onion soft and translucent.
- Add potato, carrots, canned diced tomato, tomato paste, broth, cumin, chili flakes, sugar, oregano, black pepper and salt. If you are using a high sodium broth, adjust the salt as needed. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes in low medium heat.
- Stir and add jalapeno pepper, bell pepper, corn and black beans. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- 30 Meat FREE Dishes That Taste Good
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Mix Beans Chili
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Asparagus Quiche
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Omelette Enchiladas
- Meat Free Monday: Cauliflower and Quinoa Meatballs in Coconut Sauce
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.