My Other Soup Videos:
If you are looking for other soup to make, checkout my Soup Video collection. All the recipes are in my website. Keep yourself warm. Enjoy!
Try a nice take on regular pasta lasagna and turn it into this Vegetarian Mushroom and Zucchini Lasagna Soup, sometimes change is good for us especially when it is this delicious.
I’ve never thought of lasagna as a soup but when I came across a photo of a lasagna soup, I thought why not give it a try. It’s different for a change and I was challenged to make it at par with the classic lasagna pasta that we are all used to. It has been on my to do list, and since the weather is starting to get cooler I think this is the perfect time to make more soup. This Lasagna Soup is a good start for fall soup recipe.
Can I Make This into Traditional Pasta Lasagna?
Absolutely. I have a separate recipe for Vegetarian Lasagna and Meaty Lasagna in my website. So if you are not feeling like making a soup, try the pasta version. You won’t regret it, it taste as delicious as it looks.
Choices of Vegetables
Feel free to use the vegetables of your choice, but I strongly suggest if you are going retain one vegetables and replace other, retain the mushroom. The mushroom is the one ingredient that replaces the meat and so for me it’s worth keeping it there. You can use red bell pepper, cauliflower, eggplant, spinach or maybe kale. You can even make it all mushroom which I often do a lot of times.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Yes, just like a regular pasta lasagna, you can also free this up to 3 months. Transfer into a container, cover and freeze. I personally like freezing it in small batches enough for two serving so that I don’t have to thaw the entire batch when I need to eat a single serving portion.
Not Feeling Vegetarian?
This recipe can be made into non vegetarian by simply adding ground beef or chicken, but since I’m making this for our Meat Free Monday, I skipped the beef. If you are hesitant to try this because of the absence of meat, I guarantee you that this is as good as the meat version. The addition of mushroom kind of replaces the meat and it gave a nice texture that will make you feel you are not having a vegetarian lasagna soup. Aside from mushroom, I also added some zucchini to give it additional texture and nice pop of green color in the soup. It is always inviting to see vibrant colors in our food. I guess that’s about it. Let me show you how to make this. Let’s get started.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Onion – chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 (100g) cup white mushroom – sliced
- 1 tsp salt (Adjust as needed depending on the broth you are using. I used homemade with no salt. If using store-bought double-check the sodium level so that you can adjust accordingly).
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomato
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup zucchini
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 pieces lasagna Pasta – break into 3 pieces
- 3/4 cup cheddar/mozzarella cheese
- Prepare the Pasta: Pre-Cook pasta in boiling water for 15 minutes. You only need to have it half cook, it will finish cooking with the rest of the ingredients. Set aside
- Make the Soup: In a heated pan, add oil, onion and garlic. Sautee until no longer translucent. Add sliced mushroom and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt, peppers, chili flakes, oregano, thyme, rosemary and sugar. Add canned diced tomato, tomato paste, zucchini, pasta and vegetable broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until pasta is cook. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Transfer into 2 oven safe bowl: Spoon the soup and top with cheddar/mozzarella cheese, then soup again and ending with cheese on top. Arrange in layers just like when making lasagna pasta.
- Bake: Pre-heat oven to 350F. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 30 Meat FREE Dishes That Taste Good
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Mix Beans Chili
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Omelette Enchilada
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Mini Twice Baked Potato & Cheese Pie
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Lasagna
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.