This Mini Pis in a Blanket or Franks in a Basket is one easy appetizer to make. A sausage and cheese wrapped cozily in layers of butter flaky Puff Pastry and bake until puff-up and crunchy.
During the holiday season, my schedule gets crazy busy mostly doing a lot of baking everyday. It’s the season of giving anyway so I’m taking that opportunity to bake as much as I can and to share it with my friends. It was as if I am not baking almost everyday even during ordinary days, holiday season gets even more busy than that. With all the sweet treats in my kitchen, there were days that I crave for something savory and so I thought it’s not a bad idea to throw some appetizer in my menu of baking to do list.
My Other Videos:
In the next few days, I’ll share some of my favorite appetizers that are simple and way to make. Since holiday season tends to be a busy time of the year, a simple and easy to prepare appetizer is something that I welcome in my kitchen. What better way to make an easy appetizer by using Puff Pastry.
To start off, I made Franks in a Blanket, you might be familiar with it as Pig in a Blanket or Sausage in a Blanket. For easier and faster preparation, a store-bought Puff Pastry is the best solution, but if you really want to make your own Puff Pastry Dough, I have the recipe here. Store-bought Puff Pastry is very versatile and easy to use. It literally cuts more than 50% of what you need to do. I prefer to use the rolled and flattened Puff Pastry, not much rolling needed unless I want to make a bigger size of the dough. In the end its your choice.
What Type of Puff Pasty to Buy
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pieces per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
Make-Ahead, Makes Life Easier
This can be done few days ahead and stored in the freezer until ready to bake. To do this, prepare as per instructions below. Arrange in a pan and store in the freezer until cold enough, about 30 minutes then wrap with a parchment paper and put inside a ziplock bag. Store in the freezer until ready to bake. When ready to use, take out from the freezer and bake. No need to thaw, bake straight from the freezer.
See how convenient this is? Great thing about this is this is can be made any day of the year, not only during the holiday season. I love-making this for breakfast or even brunch with a side I salad. Let’s get started!
- 1 pack puff pastry (1 roll)
- 3 Breakfast Sausage (cut into 3)
- 3 string Mozzarella Cheese (cut into 3)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 egg (egg wash: egg + 1 tsp water)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Divide into 9 squares: Roll out 1 sheet of Puff Pastry. Cut 9 squares. Divide first into 3 then cut into another 3. You should end up with 9 squares.
- Filling: Brush opposite corner of the square with water or egg. Do this only for 2 corners, the one facing across each other. Arrange cheese and sausage in the middle and sprinkle with paprika or cayenne pepper or any combination of herbs and spices that you like.
- Fold and Brush Egg wash: Fold 2 corners across each other. Brush top with egg wash.
- Bake: Arrange in a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from Oven: Take out from the tray as soon as you take it out from the oven. Transfer in a plate or cooling rack.
Important Note: It is advisable to bake this when close to serving it. You can prepare it without baking and freeze until ready to bake and serve.
Makes 9 pieces
Other Puff Pastry Appetizers:
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Puff Pastry Jalapeño and Cheese Bites
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Your feedback helps me decide what to put on my next baking to do list. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.