Simple and easy Margherita Puff Pastry Bites are filled with fresh sweet tomato, fresh fragrant basil and slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top.
We’re almost in the middle of the holiday season, and as expected, everyday it just gets busier and busier. Are you done with all the holiday menu planning? If not, you can still squeeze in this delicious Margherita Puff Pastry bite in your appetizer menu. I promise you, this is one easy appetizer to prepare, just like the Pigs in a Blanket appetizer that I shared last week. Because this was made using a Puff Pastry, I did not have to spend a lot of time making it. This is such a breeze to make, super easy!
This recipe calls for only 4 ingredients: Puff Pastry, tomato, basil and cheese, and a little bit it salt and pepper to taste but I am not counting that as part of the main ingredients.
Can This Be Made Ahead of Time?
Sad to say, No. I wouldn’t recommend doing this ahead of time because of the tomato. Unlike Pigs in a Blanket that you can make-ahead of time and keep in the freezer until ready to bake, this one is different. Tomato is not something that is good for freezing because as it bakes, water will come out of the tomato and can make the puff pastry soggy. But this shouldn’t be a reason for you not to make it. Why so? Well because this is seriously easy to make. You will only need about 10-15 minutes to prepare this and the rest of the time is just the baking time, about 30 minutes. So all in all, less than 1 hour , that’s quick for a nice appetizer. Give it a try and add it in your list now.
My Other Videos:
Since holiday season tends to be a busy time of the year, a simple and easy to prepare appetizer is something that I welcome in my kitchen. What better way to make an easy appetizer by using Puff Pastry.
What Type of Puff Pasty to Buy
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pieces per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
- 1 pack puff pastry (1 roll)
- 9 pieces Fresh Basil
- 9 pieces Mozarella Cheese – sliced
- Black Pepper
- 1 egg (egg wash: egg + 1 tsp water)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Divide into 9 squares: Roll out 1 sheet of Puff Pastry. Cut 9 squares. Divide first into 3 then cut into another 3. You should end up with 9 squares.
- Assemble: Brush the corners of the square with egg wash. Add 1 sliced tomato on each piece and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add basil leave and slice of mozarella cheese. Sprinkle with salt and paprika.
- Fold and Brush Egg wash: Fold all sides towards the center and pinch to seal. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with salt and paprika. We are adding salt because there is no other spices and seasoning here.
- Chill: Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking. This is very important as Puff Pastry needs to be in a cold state before baking for it to puff-up nicely.
- Bake: Arrange in a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until puff-up. Take out from the oven at 15 minutes and remove the melted butter in the pan. I used a spoon to do this and a paper towel to dry the pan. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until puff-up and nicely browned.
- Remove from Oven: Take out from the tray as soon as you take it out from the oven. Transfer in a plate or cooling rack.
Important Note: It is advisable to bake this when close to serving it to better enjoy it.
Makes 9 pieces
Other Appetizer Ideas:
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Puff Pastry Jalapeño and Cheese Bites
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs
- Make-Ahead Appetizer: Mini Pigs in a Blanket
If you have time and you feel like making your own Puff Pastry from scratch, watch this video and see how easy it is. Homemade Puff Pastry are not only simple and easy to make, it doesn’t get soggy as fast as store-bought one.
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Your feedback helps me decide what to put on my next baking to do list. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.