What’s better than a hot bowl of soup during cold rainy or winter day? Nothing, at least that’s what I feel right now with this Baked Chilli Dog Stew/Soup, so good.
Perfect for Freezing
The temperature starts to drop down and today we are on 10C, not totally freezing cold but not warm as well. Let’s say it is a temperature that for me is perfect for soup or stew, like this Baked Chilli Dog Soup. One thing that I like about Chili is it’s perfect for freezing and a great option for make ahead dinner. Make a large batch, freeze , thaw and reheat when ready to serve. It’s very comforting to know that when I get home and I feel like something filling and hot, I have this chilli that I can just take out from the freezer. Not that I am being lazy, I am just being proactive. Happy tummy, happy me.
This is a very simple recipe although there’s quite a lot of ingredients required, but don’t worry the ingredients are pretty basic and easy to find. They’re mostly spices and you can even replace it with something that you like. Normally, I’ll serve this straight to the bowl and just dig in to it. But today, I practiced a little bit more patience and baked it for few minutes. It’s amazing how this simple additional step actually made this Chili looks over the top delicious, well because it is. Look at the thick melting cheese on top, Isn’t that heaven? Plus those bread dipped as covered with cheese totally made me crazy over them. How do I explain it, it’s like a stew and a soup in one bowl with thick melting double cheese and a nice crusty slice of bread.
Can I Make This Without Hotdog?
Absolutely! You can make it using only beef like my Beef Chili or even make vegetarian like my Mixed Beans Chili, or if you really want it to be over the top, make this Chili Dog which is basically a combination of beef, hotdog and mixed beans. It’s a 3 in one treat, so filling, so good.
Where to Use Chili?
There are plenty of ways that you can use this Chili aside from just serving it on its own. Whether you make it meaty or vegetarian, here are few suggestion on how you can use it. It is difficult for me to say which one is my favorite because I love them all. I would say give them a try and let me know which one is your favorite, maybe you will be like me and will love all of them too.
There you go. With these options, I think you won’t get bored eating the same Chili over and over again. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Let’s get started!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup (45 grams) yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1/2 cup (250 grams) lean ground beef (or chicken/turkey)
- 2 pieces Hotdog – cut into small pieces
- 1 small (1 tbsp, 10 grams) jalapeño, minced and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) Potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) carrots – diced
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomato
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp taco seasoning (Store-bough or homemade) See recipe below to make your own taco seasoning.
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) combination of green/yellow/red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) kernel corn (can or frozen)
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup mix Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese (more or less)
Taco Seasoning Mix:
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)
- Heat pan and saute garlic and onion until fragrant and translucent. Add beef and continue cooking for another 5 minutes until the beef is cook through.
- Add potato, carrots, jalapeno pepper,canned diced tomato, tomato sauce, beef broth, cumin, chili flakes, taco seasonings and salt. If you are using a high sodium broth, adjust the salt as needed. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir and add bell pepper, corn and black beans and hotdog. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer in an oven safe bowl and top with grated cheese. Bake at pre-heated oven 350F, about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
My Soup Collection Videos
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.