Curry has always been one of my favorite dish. From Chicken Curry, Creamy Chickpea Curry to Dry Chickpea Curry and even Chicken Potato Curry Empanadas. Name it, I’m all for it. My love for curry dishes blossomed even more when I move here in Canada, I believe that was because of the diversity of the culture here. I got exposed to different cuisine, I get to enjoy them and most importantly I got the chance to make them at home. I like both Thai Curry and Indian Curry, be it meat curry or vegetarian. I particularly like my curry thick and creamy and I guess this is why If I have to choose between Thai and Indian Curry, I’ll lean more into Indian Curry. I love their flavor, I always find the mixed of spices interesting and mysterious which makes the food more enjoyable to eat. Sometimes it’s like a guessing game for me, trying to figure out what spices is in the dish.
But when I make my curry at home, I often make it my version, a little bit of Indian spices and a little bit of Thai cooking style, and that is using coconut cream or milk to thicken the sauce, instead of yogurt. This dish is just like that, a combination of Indian and Thai style curry. It has the combination of different spices and a coconut cream that thickens the sauce to make it creamy delicious. It’s neither authentic Thai or Indian Curry, it’s simply my version, my take on Cauliflower and Potato Curry.
This is perfect to serve with steamed rice, or can also be served with some Naan bread. The thick creamy sauce makes this perfect for dipping with bread, I literally was cleaning the bowl with Naan bread, the sauce was so good I am not letting anything go to waste. Let me show you how I made it. Let’s get started!
- 1 cauliflower head (560g)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small potato
- 1/4 small onion
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili pepper
- 1 fresh red chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 can coconut cream (400ml)
Note: If you do not like spicy food, simply reduce the peppers, or add gradually so that you can adjust to your preference.
- Mix the Spices: In a small bowl, add salt, curry powder, cayenne pepper, red chili pepper, fresh chili pepper,turmeric, cumin, garlic powder and sugar. Mix to combine.
- Prepare the Cauliflower: In a large bowl, add cauliflower and pour 1/4 cup olive oil. Toss making sure that the cauliflower is coated with oil. Sprinkle mixed spices and toss again to distribute the spices. Set aside.
- Cook the Potato: In a heated large pan, add olive oil and potato and cook until all sides are browned. Take out of the pan and add to the cauliflower mixture.
- Cook the Cauliflower & Potato: Using the same pan, add onion and saute until the onion is no longer translucent. Add the cauliflower and potato and cook until the cauliflower are browned, turning each side every after 5 minutes. Do not over crowd the pan, so that you get a nice browning. If you do not have a large pan, cook the cauliflower in batches and return everything in the same pan once done.
- Add Coconut Cream: Pour 3/4 cup of the coconut cream and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Alternatively, you can use the entire can of coconut cream (instead of just 3/4 cup), this will give you more sauce but you have to adjust the seasoning. Taste and adjust gradually to your preference.
- You can use canned coconut milk if you cannot find canned coconut cream. If doing so, put the coconut milk in the freezer for 30 minutes so that it will be easy to scoop out the coconut cream on top, do not add the water as it will make the curry runny. You might need to cans of coconut milk as there is less coconut cream in 1 can of coconut milk.
My Latest Video
- Meat FREE Monday Dishes: Healthy, One Step at a Time
- Meat Free Monday: Creamy Chickpea and Tomato Curry
- Meat Free Monday: Quinoa Fried “Rice”
- Meat Free Monday: White Beans and Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Meat Free Monday: Garlic Butter & Parmesan Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- Meat Free Monday: Chopsuey (Mixed Vegetables)
- Meat Free Monday: Tofu Teriyaki with Spinach
- Grilled Tikka Tofu Skewers
- Meat Free Monday: Curried Roasted Cauliflower
- Meat Free Monday: Creamy Tofu Curry in Coconut Sauce
- Meat Free Monday: Spicy Chickpea Curry, Dinner in 15 Minutes!
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.