This Mushroom and Chicken Rice Casserole will take your rice into a different level. A simple rice dish cooked with mushroom and chicken and topped with cheese and then baked in the oven.
This dish reminded me of risotto, the Italian rice dish cooked with broth until it reach a creamy soft consistency. The concept is almost the same, the rice is cook with the chicken and vegetables then topped with cheese and baked in the oven to finish it off. It’s super cheesy and an all in one dish.
Casserole is one thing that I like to make especially if I want to make extra to get me cover for most of the days that I am busy. It’s also so easy to pack because everything is mixed already in the pan. This recipe could serve 4-5 people, they are quite heavy, filling and a complete meal on its own. I normally packed simple salad to go with this, even as simple as just cucumber and tomato.
Choice of Vegetables – Mix & Match
This dish is very flexible, I used mushrooms and mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, corn, green peas). If you have fresh vegetable, then even better. Broccoli, green beans would be nice too, play around with the vegetables and use what you enjoy eating.
Choice of Meat – Chicken or Turkey
I only use chicken for this one, and most of the time I used a Rotisserie chicken to make the process simpler. The thing with me is that I like eating the leg portion of the chicken so I always ended up with the white met part as leftover. The good thing about chicken breast is that you can use it in many ways. Use it for casserole, for salad, stew, pie, wraps or even pizza toppings. If all you have is fresh chicken, no problem. Simply cut the chicken into cubes and saute it along with the onion, garlic and mushroom. If you have leftover turkey, this is also a great recipe to use it.
Alternative for Cream Sauce
I prefer making my own cream sauce by making a roux (a thick sauce made by cooking butter and flour) but if you really want to make this even simpler, you can use canned mushroom soup, about 1/3 – 1/2 cup will do the job.
Although this rice dish already have chicken in it, you can also serve it with other meat dish, I like serving it with steak or with grilled/roasted chicken, because I do not say no to extra chicken . This is a simple recipe, let’s Ge started!
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Onion – sliced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Mushroom
- 1 Chicken Breast – diced ( I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 small Fresh Jalapeño Pepper – optional
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 1/2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked Rice (long grain like Basmati is suggested)
- 1/3 cup Mixed Vegetables (frozen or fresh like green pea, corn, beans, carrots, potato)
- 1/8 tsp Paprika – optional
- 1 tsp Green Onion – for garnishing (optional)
- Cook Mushroom & Chicken: In a heated skillet, add oil, onion and garlic. Sautée until fragrant. Add mushroom and cook until water is reduced. Add chicken, salt pepper and Italian Seasoning. Transfer in a bowl and set aside.
- Make the Cream Sauce (roux): Using the same pan, add the butter and melt. Add flour and stir continuously until thick. gradually add milk while continuously stirring. Then add the broth. Return the chicken and mushroom in the pan and add the rice. Continue cooking until the rice is almost cooked but not fully cook about 25 minutes. Add more liquid as needed. Add mixed vegetables, red chili flakes, jalapeno pepper and half of the cheese. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Bake It: Transfer in an oven safe pan and top with remaining cheese. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the cheese is bubbly.
Sprinkle top with paprika and chopped green onions (optional).
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Omelette Enchiladas
- [VIDEO] Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Salad
- [VIDEO] Grilled Shrimp & Sausage with Vegetables
- [VIDEO] Avocado Chicken Salad
- Meat Free Monday: Garlic Lemon Butter Pasta Primavera
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.