This Mushroom Bourguignon is a budget friendly easy to cook alternative to traditional Beef Bourguignon. It is flavorful even without the meat, can be serve with steamed rice, bread, or even with pasta.
What’s the first thing that comes in your mind when you hear the work “Bourguignon”? Beef, right? Actually Beef Bourguignon is the only version that I know of for this dish until I ventured into Meat Free Monday and stated exploring more meat free dishes. I love Beef Bourguignon in fact this is one dish that I had lined up in my to do list, but after these meatless version.
What is good about this Mushroom Bourguignon?
- super easy and cook really fast. This is one of those dishes that you can make in less than 1 hour
- It’s delicious and flavorful even without the meat
- The sauce, you’re going to love it. It’s sweet and salty, perfect consistency
- Can be served with steam rice, pasta, mashed potato and can also be baked as a soup covered with puff pastry, like chicken pot pie style.
- Last but not the least, its budget friendly
What type of Mushroom to use?
I personally prefer using white button mushroom, or crimini mushrooms because they are firmer and they have better texture to the dish. The mushroom remains plump so you get to see more chucks. Regardless what kind of Mushroom you choose, use the fresh mushroom and not the canned mushroom.
Can I add wine to simmer the mushroom?
Definitely. The original Beef Bourguignon is simmered in a combination of wine and broth. I don’t use alcohol in my dish so I substituted it with vegetable broth. You can make it 50% wine and 50% broth. Use the wine to de-glaze the mushroom then pour the broth next.
What can I serve this with?
- steamed rice or a full meal serving
- Serve it on pasta o your choice
- Serve it on mashed potato
- Serve it as a stew/soup and cover the top with puff pastry. Bake for 20 minutes then
- serve like chicken pot pie style
- Serve it as is with flatbread or dinner rolls
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 tsp White Onion – sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup Carrots – cut into small pieces
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth (or 1/2 cup for lesser sauce): Can be substituted with 1/2 cup broth and 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cups Cremi Mushroom or White Button Mushroom or combination of both – cut into quarter
- In a heated pan, add butter, onion, carrots, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme. Sauté then cover for 5 minutes. Add flour and mix to combine.
- Add mushroom, tomato sauce and vegetable broth. Stir then cover and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat until the sauce is reduced to your liking and the vegetables are cooked. Taste and adjusts seasoning as desired
*Note* The Nutritional Information calculation do not include the rice
- Meat Free Monday: String Beans and Squash in Coconut Sauce
- Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
- Meat Free Monday: Sautéed Spinach and Mushroom
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Meat Free Monday: Tomato and Spinach Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Quesedillas
- Meat Free Monday: Creamy Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Meat Free Monday: Bokchoy Fried Rice
- Meat Free Monday: Black Bean Quinoa Burger
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.