One is not enough with this Strawberry N Cream Cheese Roll, it’s soft, moist and creamy with a nice bits and pieces of strawberries inside and out. It’s a perfect brunch option, something that would make you look forward to waking up.
This Strawberry N Cream Roll is a definition of a perfect Summer fruity bread. Since Strawberry started showing in the market quite early, I had to make this bread Summer or not. This bread was filled with fresh and cooked Strawberry and made creamy with a nice cream cheese frosting inside and outside the bread. Whenever Strawberry is in season, I always have this bread on my to do list. Summer will not be complete without me making this, among my other Summer favorite treats. Cinnamon Roll is the most common type of roll, but I always like making a twist when I’m making my own creations and so I came up with this. I always believe that one can never go wrong with a combination of cream cheese and strawberry, and I had once again proven that in this recipe. They were a match made in heaven, pure Summer bliss Strawberry indulgence. Summer is coming really soon and I am just making it a little bit earlier in my kitchen 🙂
Yeast bread making sometimes could sound scary, but this recipe is really simple and I assure you that you can make this at home, even without a stand mixer. I encourage you to concur your fear of making homemade bread, because it is really worth making it at home. But If you feel this is too much for you, I have other bread recipe below check them out. A simple dinner roll is a good starting point that could prepare you for this recipe.
How To Make Strawberry N Cream Cheese Roll
There’s basically 3 stages in making this roll. Stage 1 and 2 can be made ahead of time, 3-5 days in advance.
Stage 1: Make the Strawberry Spread
I made my own Strawberry spread but, store-bought strawberry Jam will work too. But if you have extra time, I encourage you to make your own because it is really not difficult plus you can have more chunks of strawberry on the spread which adds a nice texture in the bread itself. The consistency of the strawberry spread should be really thick and not runny at all. This is why I suggest that you make this a day ahead then store it in the refrigerator so that it will have enough time to thicken and solidify. The step is pretty simple. Just bring all the ingredients for the strawberry spread into boil until the sauce is reduced and the consistency is thick, that simple. Then leave it in the refrigerator to cool. the longer it stays chilled, the better the consistency will be.
Stage 2 – Make the Cream Cheese Spread
This is one easy breezy step. I did not use any raw eggs to mix with the cream cheese. It’s basically just softened cream cheese and sugar, that’s it. You can make this ahead of time as well, when ready to use, bring to room temperature and mix until smooth and soft.
Stage 3 – Make the Bread
Don’t run, making your own bread is not as difficult as it sounds, so stay with me. This is a yeast bread, which means you will be using a yeast to make the dough rise and fluffy. I used active yeast in the recipe which means it needs to be “proof” or activated by mixing it into a warm liquid, in this case it’s the milk. You can also use water, but I strongly suggest milk for a tastier creamier bread. The bread dough need to rise 2x, the first one is for 1 hour and then another 30 minutes after rolling it an before baking it.
This recipe is a small batch which for me is always the perfect portion. 6 medium size or 4 large ones are enough portion for sharing between 3 -4 people.
What I love about this bread?
- It is soft and fluffy
- the bread is creamy and not dense
- the combination of Strawberry and Cream Cheese is match made in heaven
- This uses a simple bread dough recipe
- The recipe is flexible, you can change the filling as you like. Blueberry, Apple, Peach will be great variation too.
Bread Dough Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup milk any percentage
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (Divided: 1 tsp for yeast and the rest for the dry ingredients mixture)
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup +1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Jam (Homemade or Store-Bought): get FULL RECIPE HERE
- 2 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Sauce (Optional): get FULL RECIPE HERE
- Make the Strawberry Jam: Get FULL RECIPE HERE
- Activate the Yeast: Pour the milk into a mug and microwave it for about 20 seconds until it is lukewarm, NOT HOT (about 105-115 degrees F.). Stir in yeast and sugar and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes until the top of the mixture looks foamy.
- Make sure that your yeast is not expired, otherwise it will not activate. If this happens, discard and do not continue. Get a new yeast before proceeding. If you continue using it, the bread will not rise and it will be dense and heavy.
- Wet Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together milk mixture (with the yeast), melted butter and egg.
- Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Wet Ingredients + Dry Ingredients: Add the dry ingredients mixture to the wet ingredients mixture a third at a time. Using a spoon, mix well until thick, sticky dough forms and all the flour is incorporated. Dump the mixture onto a well-floured work surface and knead just until the dough is no longer sticky and forms a ball (about 10 folds). If the dough is too sticky and wet, add 1 tbsp flour, on the other had if it is too dry add 1 tbsp water. You want the dough to be soft, elastic and smooth.
- Alternatively, You can also make this using stand mixer. Proof the yeast in the stand mixer bowl ( the step 1), then proceed with steps 2, 3 and 4.
- First Rise: Place dough into a greased bowl, cover with a towel, and allow to rise in a warm place for an hour, or until doubled in size.
- I always put the dough inside the oven. I would pre-heat the oven to 110F then I will stop it before putting the dough inside. The warm oven will help the dough rise faster.
- Make the Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk together softened cream cheese, and sugar until well combined and smooth. Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator.
- Shape and Fill: Generously sprinkle flour on the counter where you are going to work on your dough. Sprinkle some flour on your hands too for easy handling of dough. Take the dough out from the bowl and lightly push the dough down with the heel of the palm of your hands. Knead and flatten the dough into 12-inch x 19-inch size (it doesn’t have to be exact). The goal is to have an 8-inch log when you roll it, the longer you can make it the more layer you will have. Spread the Strawberry filling on top of the dough.
- Roll and Cut: Roll starting from the short side (12-inch side) then shape into log about 8-inch long. Use your palm to press the ends of the dough towards the center until you get the 8-inch log size. Cut into 6 pieces or 4 for bigger piece.
- Arrange in Baking Pan: Line a pan with parchment paper. Square pan works best for 4 pieces (5 x5) and rectangular pan for 6 pieces ( 6 x 4). Leave an overhang on the side to allow easy removal later. Arrange each piece in the pan leaving allowances on all sides. Alternatively, you can also bake this in cookie sheet, arrange the dough close together or far from each other if you want an individual roll.
- Bake: Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. If the top begin to brown too quickly, cover the top with aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Let Cool: Let the bread cool completely before adding the frosting.
- Spread the Frosting: Take the frosting out of the refrigerator to soften. String to bring back to smooth soft consistency. Spoon frosting over rolls and drizzle with Strawberry Sauce on top as desired.
Makes 4 or 6 rolls
- Purple Yam Sweet Roll
- Small Batch Apple Cinnamon Roll (Makes 4), BEST Ever!
- [VIDEO] How To Make Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- Small Batch Strawberry Crumb Bar
- REAL Raspberry Buttercream Whipped Frosting, A Unique Buttercream Frosting That is Not Too Sweet
- Strawberry Pie For Two
- Baked Strawberry Donut
- Small Batch Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing: Fresh and No Preservatives Added
- Small Batch 3 Ingredients and No Preservatives Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry Banana Frozen Yogurt
- Strawberry Banana Frozen Yogurt
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.