Adorably cute, this Jalapeño Cheese Stuffed Mummies are sure to steal the spotlight of your party. A great, fun and interesting appetizer made with fresh jalapeño and stuffed with cream cheese, feta cheese and mozzarella cheese, then wrapped in flaky puff pastry dough. More than cute, this mummies are delicious! Don’t worry, these mummies don’t bite, they are not as spicy as you think it is.
Happy almost Halloween! In few weeks time it will be Halloween. Although we don’t celebrate Halloween that much in the Philippines, I like the idea of celebrating it here. I don’t dress up or anything or even go to a Halloween party but my way of celebrating Halloween is in my kitchen making all yummy Halloween treats that I bring to the office to share with my friends. To tell you the truth, I find Halloween challenging occasion for me to make treats. There’s quite a lot of ideas in the internet but some of them are quite too much work, either that or they are beautiful but not as something that I will enjoy to eat. Basically, what I was looking for is a simple, delicious and interesting treats. Don’t we all want something easy to make and yet delicious? So, this year my choice is this 3 Cheese Stuffed Yummy Jalapeño Mummy or most popularly known as Jalapeño Mummy. This adorable appetizer was made using fresh jalapeño peppers, and with cream cheese, feta cheese and mozzarella cheese stuffing. What makes this a mummy, of course is the puff pastry wrapping which was delicious and flaky. It’s not as difficult as it looks, and it uses simple ingredients which an easily be substituted for something else without risk of kitchen disaster as I call it.
Is Jalapeño Mummy spicy?
You will be surprised to know that the answer is “NO”, and I am not saying this just to convince you to try it. I was surprised myself too. Although I can tolerate hot and spicy food, some of my friends cannot so I was worried that it is going to be too hot and I will end up finishing it by myself. I was wrong, it was NOT hot at all, and this is not just me saying it. I also asked my friends who are not into spicy stuff if they think it is spicy or not. So rest assured, your friends and guest will not be hating you, instead they are going to love you even more.
What are the ingredients to make Jalapeno Cheese Stuffed Mummies?
- Fresh Jalapeno Peppers – choose a medium size jalapeño, a size that wouldn’t scare people from eating an entire piece. You know when people here jalapeño, some people tend to distant themselves because if the thought that it could be spicy.
- Puff Pastry – this is what makes my version slightly different from most of the jalapeño mummies recipe. Most recipe uses crescent roll dough, my version uses puff pastry. I find that puff pastry are better because it is flakier when baked, it’s a pastry dough more than a bread dough. But if you cannot find puff pastry, feel free to use crescent roll dough.
- Cream Cheese – Use the cream cheese spread that comes in a tub. This has a spreadable texture, softer and easier to work on. You can use original and plain, or you can use the flavored one which is better because it already contains herbs, spices and seasoning. If you cannot find one, you can substitute it with the cream cheese in a box. This type require few minutes of leaving it in room temperature to soften it.
- Mozzarella Cheese – I like to use fresh as opposed to ready to use shredded mozzarella cheese. The fresh mozzarella have better texture and it melts better plus it taste even better.
- Feta Cheese – this adds a nice strong flavor to the filling as feta cheese tends to be saltier
- Salt – for taste
- Garlic Powder – for additional flavor. If you are not a fan of garlic, you can remove or replace it with something else, like chopped green onion or chives, or dried onion flakes.
- Italian Seasoning – to add complexity and flavor in the cheese filling. This can be substituted with a mix of other herbs like Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Basil etc.
How do you make Jalapeño Mummy?
It does look like a lot of work, but not really. If you are making a large batch, you can even make the filling ahead of time to cut some time in the process. There’s 3 main parts in making this mummy.
Prepare the Jalapeno Peppers: A lot of recipe for Jalapeño Mummy uses the jalapeño fresh as is. Some cook it in boiling water to soften it. My version uses a microwave to slightly cook it. Although you can use it as is, but I find that cooking the jalapeño peppers even before baking it somehow decreases the heat which makes it more available to a lot of people. 2 minutes in microwave is more than enough to soften it, do not go more than 2 minutes of it will be too soft to hold the filling.
Make the Cheese Filling: the next thing is making the cheese filling. Most recipes uses only cream cheese for filling, my version uses 3 types of cheese for better flavor and taste. I used cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and feta cheese. Each of these cheese have characteristics that when combined together it makes an amazing filling. Cream cheese has the extra smooth and creamy texture, feta cheese have a strong flavor and mozzarella cheese have the melting factor. You can replace feta and mozzarella with other cheese but retain the cream cheese as this is what binds the cheese together. You can also use other herbs and spices, be creative and make it your own. You then Mummy if these mummies so do as you please.
Assemble the Mummies – this is the part wherein you have to wrap the jalapeño pepper with puff pastry. The only challenge here is working fast while the puff pastry is slightly cold. Once the puff pastry becomes soft and sticky, if will become a challenge wrapping it around. So work as fast as you can. If the puff pastry gets too soft, chill it in the freezer until easy to handle. If you are making a large batch, leave the strips of puff pastry in the freeze or refrigerator until ready to use. Wrap the jalapeño peppers from the top until the end. Depending on the size of the jalapeno pepper, you could use 1 -2 strips of puff pastry dough. Once done chill the pepper inside the freezer while you preheat the oven. It is very important to have it chilled before baking to allow the puff pastry to puff-up.
Bake: For a glossy too and nice browning, brush each peppers with egg wash, if you are making a large batch it is worth cracking 1 egg for this. If you are making a small batch, you can use cream or melted butter to brush the top.
How do you serve Jalapeño Mummy?
Jalapeno Mummies are appetizers. Arrange it in a tray and serve it as is. But if you want to give some extra loving, serve it with salsa on the side, or even with cheese dip or ranch dressing dip. They are going to be a hit, that’s for sure.
Can I make Jalapeño Mummies ahead of time
You will be glad to know that the answer is YES! Whether you are making it for a small group or a large gathering, you can make the Jalapeño Mummy ahead of time. Prepare the Jalapeño Mummy until the step where you wrap it with puff pastry. Once done, arrange in a parchment lined tray freeze for at least 1 hour. Transfer in a ziplock back and keep in the freezer until ready to use. The day that you want to serve it, take it out of the freezer (no need to thaw), brush the top with egg wash and bake. You might meed to add 3-5 minutes in the baking time.
- 3 medium Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese Spread
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tbsp Feta Cheese
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Prepare the Jalapeño Peppers: Wash and cut the jalapeño peppers into half then remove the seed. Transfer in a microwaveable plate and microwave each side for 1 minute. This will slightly soften and cook the jalapeño pepper. Alternatively, if you like the jalapeño peppers crunchy, you can skip microwaving it. I find that cooking it more lessen the heat which makes it tolerable to more people. Remove from the microwave and sprinkle salt. Set aside while you make the 3 cheese filling.
- Make the Cheese Filling: In a bowl, mix cream cheese spread, salt, garlic, Italian seasoning, feta cheese and mozzarella cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Prepare the Puff Pastry: Cut 12 strips of 1/2-inch each. You will be using 2 strips per jalapeño pepper. This could vary depending on the size of jalapeño you are using. Do this only when you are ready to wrap the peppers. If making a large batch, keep half of the strips in the refrigerator to avid from getting too soft.
- Assemble the Mummies: Fill each jalapeño peppers with the cheese filling. Wrap the jalapeño with puff pastry strips. Start from the top until the end. If the puff pastry strips gets too soft and sticky, put it back in the freezer until manageable to handle. Wrap all the jalapeño peppers. Transfer in a parchment lined tray or plate and chill in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to harden the puff pastry. It is important to have the puff pastry cold so that it will puff-up during baking.
- Bake: Brush top of each jalapeño peppers with egg wash, or you can also use cream or melted butter. This will help in the browning and will make the puff pasty glossy. Arrange in a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until the puff pastry is puffed up. If baking a frozen batch, add 5 more minutes. Adjust baking time as necessary.
- Decorate: To stick the candy eyes into the mummies, I used melted chocolate. Make sure to let the mummies cool before sticky the candy eyes.
- Serve: Arrange in a tray and serve with tomato salsa or cheese dip. ENJOY!
- Yummy Mummy Chocolate Cookies
- Spooktacular Halloween Cookies
- [VIDEO] Adorable Jack-O-Lantern Hand Pies
Featured Video: Jack O Lantern Hand Pie
This adorable Jack-O-Lantern was a hit when I bought it to the office. These are not only adorable, they taste as good as it looks. Yummy!
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.