This is such a comforting dish to see on the table. A Homemade Potato Gnocchi Pasta with spinach, tomato and mushroom and soft melting cheese baked in cast iron skillet. It is a definition of real homemade cooking, fresh ingredients and a homemade Potato Gnocchi from scratch.
A Potato Gnocchi made from scratch – Only 3 Ingredients!
One thing about making homemade ingredients, they made me hooked to them. It was such a nice feeling being able to make something from scratch with my own bare hands, like the Potato Gnocchi I used for this recipe. I recently learned how to make Gnochhi from scratch, and I just love it. It’s a simple 3 ingredients recipe, made without any pasta maker. Just me and my bare hands playing with the soft pasta dough. I’ve made fresh pasta before when I made my Homemade Ravioli Pasta but I used a pasta roller and a ravioli plate to do it. I enjoyed the experience, but being able to make a pasta with using any machine is even more fun because I can easily make it anytime I want to. Sometimes its the taught of taking out the pasta maker out of the box and setting it up on my counter that’s stopping me from using it. It’s such a shame though because I also love the process. But this recipe, it’s simple And easy, trust me.
If you are interested in making your own Gnocchi, click HERE for the detailed instructions or watch the Video to give yourself a glimpse of what to expect.
In this recipe, you can use homemade Gnocchi or you can use a store-bought Gnocchi too, but can you at least consider making one? Give it a thought, ok? This Skillet Gnocchi is like any baked pasta, simply add the Gnocchi, pasta sauce, mushroom, spinach, tomato and cheese in the skillet and bake until bubbly and the cheese are golden brown and melted.
What are the ingredients to make Baked Skillet Potato Gnocchi with Spinach and Tomato?
- Gnocchi – Store-bought or homemade, plain or flavored
- Olive Oil – To saute the mushroom and Spinach. You can use any other flavorless oil.
- Onion – I used yellow onion, you can also use white onion but not the red onion as it has a strong taste. Onion match well with mushroom and gives a sweet taste as it caramelize.
- Garlic – I like a hint or garlic flavor in my pasta, I find that it enhances the taste overall.
- Mushroom – Fresh is better, either brown or white mushroom, cremini or portobello works too.
- Salt & Pepper, Paprika, Chili Flakes – I like spicy spices to flavor my pasta, you can just use salt and pepper if you want to keep it mild.
- Sugar – I like adding a little bit of sugar to make it slightly sweet, but you can totally remove it if you prefer Italian style pasta taste.
- Italian Seasoning – I like the blend of Italian seasoning in tomato based pasta. You can also substitute it with Thyme, Oregano, Parsley or any fresh herbs you like.
- Pasta Sauce – Homemade or Store-bought. Marinara Sauce works great, you can also use cream based like Alfredo Sauce or simple Bechamel Sauce. I used my homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Cheese: What is skillet baked pasta without a cheese? If you can, grate your own cheese instead of using the shredded one in the pouch. Fresh grated cheese is always better, it melts better and taste better. I used a combination of sharp cheddar and fresh mozzarella.
- Meat: optional, but if you want to make it even filling, you can add some sautéed ground beef or even leftover roasted chicken will work too.
This Gnocchi is soft and not rubbery which makes it great. I got a really good feedback for this recipe when I shared it with friends, so I hope you will like it too. Give it a try, and tag me #SweetNSpicyLiving in Instagram. Let make this, let’s get started!
- 350g Potato Gnocchi – Any variation of Gnocchi will work
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup Yellow or White Onion – sliced thinly
- 2 cups Cremini Mushroom – sliced thinly
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh Basil – chopped
- 1 tsp granulated Sugar
- 2 cups fresh Spinach
- 3/4 cup Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cook the Gnocchi as per package instruction. If you want to make your own Gnocchi, check out my Homemade Potato Gnocchi post for instructions on how to cook homemade gnocchi.
- In a heated pan, add oil, garlic and onion. Saute until onion is no longer translucent. Add sliced mushroom, mix and cover and cook until the water has evaporated. Cooking time could vary depending on how much water the mushroom produces, I would about 5 – 10 minutes. Add pasta sauce, sugar, salt, paprika, black pepper, red chili flakes, Italian seasoning, basil, cherry tomato and spinach. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired before adding the pasta. Add cooked gnocchi and parmesan cheese, mix to distribute the sauce.
- If using meat like ground beef, saute it separately and add it along with adding the pasta sauce. You may need to add more pasta sauce if you are adding meat. Adjust pasta sauce measurement as needed. I would say about 1/4 cup more.
- Bake: Transfer in 6-inch skillet iron pan or oven safe casserole pan. Top with grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle top with dried parsley and paprika (optional). Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until the cheese has melted and bubbly.
Serves 2 – 3
My Latest Video
- [VIDEO] Small Batch Homemade Potato Gnocchi
- Meat Free Monday: Homemade Potato Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce with Poached Egg and Caramelized Mushroom and Onion
- Meat Free Monday: Garlic Lemon Butter Pasta Primavera
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Lasagna
- [VIDEO] Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Salad
- Chili Zoodles
- Small Batch Meaty Lasagna
- 1 Step Instant Pasta Sauce with 5 Different Variations, that easy!
- Meat Free Monday: Caponata Pasta, the BEST Vegetarian Pasta!
- Meat Free Monday: Enjoy Spaghetti Squash Mushroom Alfredo with Less Guilt
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.