Whole Roasted Garlic and Herbs Cauliflower is a simple easy side dish that could go with anything on your table. Chicken, Salmon, Beef, Shrimp . Yes pleassse! Make a large batch and roasted several pieces, serve it on a plate surrounded with other roasted veggie like carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, squash and potatoes.
Let’s agree, Cauliflower is not really the most famous and common vegetable there is. Not many people pay attention to this cruciferous vegetable, and that includes me, guilty as charge. The most the I see Cauliflower is when my Mom makes Chopsuey, an Asian stir fry mixed vegetables. Apart from that, nothing else. But that changed recently, maybe not that recently let’s say last year when I started exploring Cauliflower and the many ways you can cook it. I was actually surprise, it turned out to be more flexible than Broccoli which I often buy. With Cauliflower, you can have it in a stir fry, you can eat it in a salad, you can have it roasted and curried. You can jump into the band wagon of riced cauliflower, use it for crust or make it into bagel (Yes, Bagel!), not to mention soup and sauces. That’s a lot more than what you can do with Broccoli, right? So I am thankful I’ve explored Cauliflower, and this post is about another simple Cauliflower side dish, let’s call it Garlic & Herbs Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Vegan Chunky Mushroom Gravy, phew! Long name, don’t worry the process of making it is not as long as the name itself.
What are the Ingredients for Whole Roasted Garlic & Herb Cauliflower?
- Cauliflower – the size of the cauliflower affects the baking/roasting time. I like to use medium size, but small or large will work as well. Adjust roasting time as needed.
- Olive Oil – This gives a nice charred browning on the outside of Cauliflower, so don’t skip it. You can also use any other kind of oil.
- Salt – to taste, be generous as Cauliflower tends to be bland. Remember, the seasoning is only on the outside.
- Garlic – Do not use fresh minced garlic as it could burn easily. Powdered garlic is suggested for this recipe.
- Black Pepper – This gives a nice heat, but not too much. You can replace this with other hot spice pepper that you like.
- Paprika – I like using smoked Paprika for a nice smoky flavor, but a regular Paprika will work too. You can substitute it with Cayenne Pepper.
- Sugar – This helps in the caramelization of the onion and mushroom, at the same time balancing the spice and salty taste of the gravy.
- Butter – This adds a nice taste to the gravy, I used vegan butter but any other butter will work too
- All-Purpose Flour – This act as thickener for the roux (flour and butter paste) for the gravy
- Italian Seasoning – For flavor. Italian seasoning is a mix of different blend of spices (Basil, Rosemary, Oregano etc.) If you do not have one, you can substitute it with other herbs.
- Thyme – I find that thyme works well with mushroom, but if you do not have one you can skip it
- Mushroom – I used brown mushroom, other mushroom will work too just do not use the canned mushroom. Fresh is always better.
- Onion – I like to use yellow or white. I wouldn’t suggest using the red onion as I find the taste strong for the gravy
- Broth – I used vegetable broth, but any kind of broth will work too. You can also use half milk half broth if you are not avoiding dairy.
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower
- Boil the Cauliflower for 5 minutes
- Dry try Cauliflower and sprinkle spices
- Bake the Cauliflower
- Make the Gravy
- Make the Caramelized Mushroom and Onion
- Mix the mushroom and gravy
- Pour the gravy in the Cauliflower
- Serve and Enjoy!
This dish can be served with or without mushroom gravy sauce. Cut it into small pieces and serve it along other side dishes. I personally like serving this whole as it adds to the nice presentation and plating. But then again, this is your cauliflower, do as you please just make sure to enjoy every bite of it.
- 1 medium size Cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1p pieces Brown Mushroom
- 1/4 cup Yellow or White Onion
- 2/3 cup Broth
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix the Spices: Mix salt, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika.
- Wash the Cauliflower: Wash the cauliflower head and remove the leaves.
- Spice the Cauliflower: Rub olive oil all over the Cauliflower the sprinkle with half of the spice mix. You can use whatever spices you like. Transfer in a baking pan. Cover with foil then transfer in a baking sheet. Covering it with foil will steam and cook the inside of the Cauliflower
- Bake/Roast in preheated oven for 30 -45 minutes or until the Cauliflower is tender and the outside has browned.
- Make the Mushroom Gravy Sauce by first making a roux, or a flour and butter paste mixture. Add the butter in s heated pan, swirl the pan until the butter is melted then ad the flour and stir until the flour mix through. You should expect a light paste texture that is yellowish in color. Pour in the broth and stir until smooth. Set aside
- Cook the Mushroom and Onion: Now saute the Mushroom and onion in a heated pan with oil. Add remaining spice mix, sugar and thyme. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the onion has caramelized and the mushroom had browned. Add the mushroom mixture to the gravy. Cook for 1 more minute, taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve: Meanwhile, remove the Cauliflower from the oven and pour the Mushroom gravy on top. Sprinkle some red pepper and parsley (optional)
Serves 2 – 3
- Baking/Roasting time depends on the size of the Cauliflower. If you are using a large Cauliflower, you can boil it longer (about 8 minutes) so that it cooks faster in the oven.
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Green Goddess Salad
- Zucchini & Chickpea “Noodles”
- Sweet Potato and Avocado Bowl
- Green Goddess Avocado Sandwich
- Grilled Vegetable Skewers
- White Bean Tomato Salad
- Mediterranean Green Bean Tomato Salad
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Baking, Cooking, Entrée, Healthy Option, Recipe, Side Dish, Vegetarian
This looks really hearty!
LikeLiked by 1 person
It was 🙂 I’m loving Cauliflower
LikeLiked by 1 person
I use it more and more, always delicious.
LikeLiked by 1 person