French Toast, however you make it, whatever you serve it with, it is simply amazing! A breakfast worth waking up. Rise and shine to this easy and delicious Classic French Toast.
A lot of people cannot start the day without coffee. In my case, I need sugar to kick-start my day. I know, it doesn’t sound healthy, but I just have to have my sweets for breakfast. It wakes me up and keeps me going all day. I always plan my breakfast ahead of time, it gives me more time to enjoy my morning and not rush eating. I sometimes prepared my breakfast at night, and just toss it in the pan or oven in the morning. This is one reason why I love french toast. It is so easy to make, less ingredient, taste good and it gives me opportunity to have my fruit serving for the day.
I had done quite a few variations of this french toast just by changing the toppings. I had made Strawberry, Banana, Peaches, Nutella or just plain. For busy morning, I opt for Baked Overnight French Toast version . I prepare it at night and then I just put it in the oven while I prepare myself for work. But for weekends, this classic French Toast is my favorite breakfast.
This is small batch, around 3 regular size loaf bread. You can easily double the recipe if you are cooking for 2 or more. I just love the idea of small batch as it works perfectly well for someone like me who lives alone. Let me show you how I do it. Let’s get started!
- 2-3 pieces sliced loaf Bread (White, Whole Wheat or any Sweet Breads that are few days old)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/3 cup Milk (Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Full Fat, 1, 2 or 3.5%)
- 3 tbsp Brown or White Sugar
- 1 tsp melted salted Butter and extra for brushing the pan
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- pinch Cinnamon (optional)
- Custard Mixture: Mix Eggs, melted butter, milk, cinnamon ,vanilla extract and 3 tbsp brown sugar.
- Dip the Bread: Dip the sliced bread in the egg and milk mixture until fully coated. I like using my 5 x 5 square pan when dipping the bread, but you can use any bowl you have that good enough to submerge the bread without deforming the shape. Leave for 5 minutes to allow bread to absorb the mixture.
- Toast the Bread: Spray with oil or grease NON STICK pan with butter. Put the soaked bread in the heated pan (medium heat) and cook until golden brown, around 5-10 minutes each side. Cooking time could also vary on how big the bread you are using. I used large white loaf bread and it took around 8-10 minutes each side. Watch out for when the side of the bread you are cooking starts to brown. You can cook it longer if you prefer crunchy texture.
- Serve: Remove from heat and transfer in a plate. Serve with fresh fruits and dust top with confectioners sugar or drizzle with Caramel Sauce
- If making this ahead of time, it is best to use a few days old bread and leave it overnight in the refrigerator while submerge in milk mixture. Cover with plastic wrap or store in a covered container.
Featured Video: Strawberry Pancake with Strawberry Sauce
The fluffiest, softest and easiest pancake recipe and it’s homemade. This is a great basic pancake recipe that you can use to create other variations. Check it out.
Please don’t forget to click on the “Like“button if you like this post, or leave me a comment. I would like that even more. Thanks!
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Banana Caramel French Toast
- Caramelized Banana Oatmeal
- Crunchy Baked Tofu
- Sweet Potato & Toasted Quinoa Bowl
- Pumpkin Soda Bread
- Blueberry and Pumpkin Muffin
- Green Goddess Avocado Sandwich
- Salted Caramel Dutch Baby Pancake
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.