A savory muffin packed with ham and cheese and topped with more cheese is my go to quick breakfast option on busy days. This Ham and Cheddar Cheese Breakfast Muffin is easy to make and can even be made ahead of time, tasty and bursting with flavor, soft and moist and a great grab and go. Morning just got better.
Breakfast is served!! If you’re a morning person, then you understand why breakfast is a big deal for me. After all, starting the day with a breakfast is not a bad thing at all. Although I somehow understand those who do not have appetite for breakfast. Sometimes when I ate too much at night I also didn’t feel like eating anything the following morning. Lucky me, I normally have my last full meal before I leave office, around 4:00pm, so you can probably imagine how hungry I was when I woke up the following morning. I ate snack before going to the gym or sometimes after, that someone help lessen the hunger, but I am still so hungry when I woke up in the morning. Between sleep and food, food always have its sneaky way of making me get out of bed. You know how difficult it is to return to sleep when your hungry right? That’s why as soon as I open my eyes in the morning, and my stomach is shouting “I’m hungry”, I must obey and get out of my bed to feed my hungry stomach. I like sweets mostly in the morning, but there are times that I want something savory for a change. For days like that, me and this muffin are the best of friends. I wouldn’t mind bonding with this muffin for my breakfast meal. Plus this muffin is a perfect breakfast for busy days, we are really best friends.
We all have busy days, sometimes a lot of them. That’s exactly what’s been going on in my life right now. It’s crazy busy at work as no dull moments at all. Every single minute count, but despite that, I still make it a point to find time to make some homemade goodies for me and my friends. After all we need nourishment to keep us going and going. Days like this, I like making my favorite savory Ham and Cheese Muffin. They are a perfect make ahead, grab and go kind of breakfast. I normally prepare all the ingredients at night, leave it in the fridge and just mix it all in a bowl, then off it goes into the oven. After 25 minutes, I have my freshly baked still warm from the oven Ham and Cheese Muffin, that easy. Other times, I baked this at night if I want to an additional hour of sleep. Keep it refrigerated and jut warm it up in the morning. Such a nice way to wake up in the morning with breakfast already ready for me. This one pairs well with eggs, I like mine scrambled when I’m having it with this muffin.
Choices of Meat
I used chicken ham but a regular ham, bacon or sausage will work. If using sausage, use something that has a milder flavor like a breakfast sausage. If you are vegetarian, you can even remove the meat and just have it plain with cheese. Meat or no meat, this savory muffin is delicious.
Can I Make Ham and Cheese Muffin in Advance?
These muffins are great for make-ahead. There are three ways that you can do it.
- Bake & Refrigerate: Bake the muffin at night and keep it refrigerated for 2-3 days. Re-heat at 300F for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Bake & Freeze: Individually wrap the muffins in clingfilm or foil and then transfer to ziplock bags or freezer containers. This will last 2 -3 months. When ready to eat, leave in the refrigerator overnight and re-heat at 300F for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Prepare Ingredients ahead- of time: Prepare and mix all dry ingredients and transfer in a container, cover and leave in the refrigerator. Cut and chop the green onion and cook the ham or bacon and set aside in a separate container. In the morning, all you need to do is mix the dry ingredients with wet ingredients, then bake.
- 1 tsp flavorless Oil
- 1/4 cup diced Ham, Bacon or Sausage
- 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese (set aside 1/3 cup for topping)
- 1 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoke Paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped Green Onion
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Buttermilk (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp milk + 1 tsp white vinegar)
- 1 large Egg – room temperature
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Spray 6 muffin tin holes with oil (or grease with butter) or line with muffin liner.
- Pre-cook the meat: Heat a non stick pan over high heat. Add oil, bacon or ham and fry until lightly browned. Remove onto a paper towel to drain the fat. Chop into small pieces then set aside.
- Dry Ingredients: Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, garlic powder, green onion, paprika, cheese and chopped ham/bacon.
- Wet Ingredients in a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, egg, greek yogurt and vegetable oil.
- Wet Ingredients + Dry Ingredients: Pour the wet Ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide: Distribute batter between 6 muffin liner. Top each muffin with 1/3 cup remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the center is no longer wet.
Makes 6 pieces
Looking for inspiration on what to bake? Watch my recipe video and get inspired.
- Glazed Orange Scones
- Blueberry Streusel Scones
- Small Batch Cream Scones (Makes 4)
- Coconut & Raisins Cream Streusel Scones
- Pumpkin & Raisins Buttermilk Biscuit
- Herbed Feta Buttermilk Biscuit
- Surprise Egg in a Muffin
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA