Crumb Cake is one of my favorite cake to make as soon as fresh sweet Summer fruits (or Fall fruits) starts appearing in the market. Why so? Most crumb cake are simple and easy to make, it uses pretty basic ingredients and it never failed to make people fall in love with it, even more crazy over the crunchy nutty crumble toppings. I myself cannot say ‘No’ to crumb cakes, they are simple and yet delicious. Not only that, this is the type of cake that you can actually serve for breakfast and people will not ask why. It is perfect for coffee and even more for tea.
I am crazy over berries, but among all the berries, Strawberry and Blueberry are among my favorite. From time to time Raspberry but I was never into Blackberry, except when all these 4 berries are mixed into one recipe (like sorbet, or berries pie or tart). I find Blackberry kind off not as flexible as the other 3 berries, so I do not normally buy it. But Blackberry, I’m a self confessed obsessed with it. From cakes, cupcakes, muffin, pie, tart, crumble, crisp, ice cream and smoothie I got you cover, and I’m not stopping there. This Blueberry Crumb Cake is one of my favorite Blueberry Cake, sometimes I even call this breakfast cake because it got fruits in it and yogurt too so it does qualify as a breakfast item, right? At least in my world 🙂
What are the Ingredients for Very Berry Crumb Cake?
- All-Purpose Flour
- Almond Flour – Adds a nice almond flavor plus makes the cake really moist and soft
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – To give the cake a lift
- Salt – It is always good to add salt to balance the sweetness of the cake
- Unsalted Butter – Gives body and texture to the cake, plus cake made with butter taste really good
- Granulated Sugar – Adds sweetness to balance the tart flavor of the berries
- Egg – create structure and stability within the batter and provides moisture to the cake
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream – Provides moisture and creamy taste to the cake
- Pure Vanilla Extract – for flavoring, if you do not have one you can use citrus zest instead or totally skip it
- Zest of 1 Lemon or Orange – Although optional, a small hint of lemon flavor makes this cake shine.
How do you make Very Berry Crumb Cake?
This crumb cake is one simple cake to make. It all start with mixing all the dry ingredients first then creaming the eggs, butter and sugar. The process of creaming make the cake fluffy and soft, this is because it builds up air into the batter. This is why it is very important to use room temperature ingredients for creaming because room temperature ingredients mix well together. Once that is done, yogurt is added to the mixture and then the dry ingredients are gradually mix into the batter. It is basically a dry ingredients plus wet ingredients kind of cake, but with creaming process. This is how easy it is to make this cake. Simple, easy and delicious.
Tips For a Light and Fluffy Cake:
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Please do not ignore the requirements for a room temperature ingredients because it will have a huge effect in the success and failure of the cake. The texture of the cake will depend heavily on how the ingredients are creamed and mix together, and room temperature ingredients mix well easily as compared to cold ingredients. Leave the butter at least 1 hour before using it until it is softened. Sometimes it could be less or more depending on the humidity and temperature on where you are. If the butter becomes slightly glossy (not oily and melting) and sticky and it breaks easily when mixed, then you are in a right track. You might need less time to reach the light and fluffy stage. If your batter remains almost solid and keeps on getting stuck to the paddle attachment then it is still cold. If this happen, you have to give it more time to soften, or continue but it will take longer than 8-10 minutes to reach the light and fluffy stage. As for the eggs, either leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes again depending on humidity and temperature of the kitchen or to short cut the process, submerge the egg in hot water (NOT boiling) for about 5 minutes.
- Greek Yogurt: This is not something new at all. A lot of recipes from cakes, cupcakes and quick breads now uses yogurt to incorporate more moisture. It has been proven to be effective in doing that all the time. I had tried making this without the yogurt and although it was good, I find the texture better with yogurt in it. The creaminess and moisture of yogurt plus the moisture from almond flour is a combination to beat when it comes to producing a soft and moist cake. It is hands-down moist and delicious. So make this and special case and buy a yogurt to make this, you wont regret it.
- Do Not Over mix the Batter:Over and over again you see this in a lot of recipes for cakes, cakes, bread and even cookies. Over mixing the batter could result to a tougher cake because of gluten in the flour. Think of a bread, the longer you knead the bread the more chewy and heavy it becomes. It is the same idea with the cake, we creamed the butter and sugar to a light and fluffy stage so that it builds up air, mixing the batter too much will knock down the air so all those mixing and creaming, say goodbye to your efforts. So once the dry ingredients is added, mix it only until combined. It’s fine to have few raw flour on the sides of the bowl, just manually scrape it as well as the bottom of the bowl. Believe me, this simple reminder makes a difference.
Now that we are equipped with this 3 simple tips, let us put them to use and let’s make this cake, shall we?
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour (spoon& leveled)
- 1/4 cup Almond flour ( or All-Purpose Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 6 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup full-fat Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Blueberry (if using frozen, use as is, do NOT thaw)
- 1/4 cup Strawberry (if using frozen, use as is, do NOT thaw)
- Zest of 1 Lemon or Orange – optional
For the Fruits, You can use all Blueberry or All Strawberry or a mix of different kind of Berries
Cake Crumb Topping:
- 1 tablespoon cold Butter
- 2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Almond Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F .
- Prepare the Pan: Grease or line a 6-inch round pan with parchment paper.
- Dry Ingredients: Sift all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the Blueberry and Strawberry until just distributed. Set aside.
- Cream Butter, Sugar and Egg: Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat the butter just enough to break it. If the butter is softened properly and is at room temperature, you will only need 30 seconds to 1 minute to do this. Add the sugar and mix for about 1-2 minutes. Add egg and continue mixing until light, fluffy and pale in color. More or less 3-5 minutes. Adjust as necessary. This is a very important step so take your time in making sure that the mixture is light and fluffy even if it means going beyond 5 minutes.
- Add flavoring: Add vanilla extract and yogurt and continue mixing until just combined.
- Wet Ingredients + Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients mixture while mixing. Do not over mix as the cake could end up being tough. If there are still some flour on the side or bottom of the bowl, manually scrape the sides and the bottom of the cake.
- Make the Toppings: Mix butter, sugar, flours and baking powder. Using your fingers, combine together until it resemble into a coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Small Batch Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Bread
- Blueberry Pecan Crumble Banana Bread
- Small Batch Strawberry ‘N’ Cream Roll
- Blueberry Custard Crumble Pie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Cheese Tart
- Blueberry Lemon Crumb Bar
- Blueberry Crisp For Two
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA