This Black Forest Chia Seed Pudding is one easy and delicious breakfast or snack for busy days. Leave the chia seed soaking in milk with cocoa powder, come morning you have an easy light breakfast item. You can even have this for dessert, don’t forget to share 🙂
When I learn about chia seed, I went crazy over it. I had been adding it to my hot oatmeal, overnight oats, smoothie, yogurt parfait and pudding like this one. Last year, I shared the Mango and Strawberry variation, and so I thought this year I will give the spotlight to my beloved fresh Cherry. This is a simple chocolate chia seed pudding, served with Homemade Chunky Cherry Sauce and fresh Homemade Whipped Cream, then garnished with some shaved chocolate and fresh Cherry on top. It does remind me of Black Forest Cake, so I decided to call it Black Forest Chia Seed Pudding.
How To Make Black Forest Chia Seed Pudding
This follows the basic method of making chia seed, only with the addition of cocoa powder. Simply pour the milk in a jar, add the sweetener, cocoa powder and chia seed. Leave soaking overnight or at least 2 hours until the mixture is thick. Stir, stir, stir to loosen up the clumps. You can use any kind of cocoa powder (natural or dutch processed), or any type of milk.
How to Serve Black Forest Chia Seed Pudding
My personal preference is to serve it cold, but feel free to warm it up a bit. This can be serve for breakfast, snack or as dessert. When serving for dessert, I suggest divide this is smaller portion, full glass is quite a lot for a dessert.
This recipe used very few ingredients, and the Chia Seed was the star of the recipe. So I thought I’d share with you little interesting facts about Chia Seed. Here is goes.
What is Chia Seed?
Chia seeds are tiny black seeds from the plant Salvia hispanica, which is related to the mint. Chia seeds were an important food for the Aztecs and Mayans back in the day. They prized them for their ability to provide sustainable energy. In fact, “chia” is the ancient Mayan word for “strength.” Despite their ancient history as a dietary staple, chia seeds became recognized as a modern-day super-food only recently. In the past few years, they have exploded in popularity and are now consumed by health conscious people all over the world. Don’t be fooled by the size — these tiny seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch.
Benefits of Chia Seed
- Chia Seeds Deliver a Massive Amount of Nutrients With Very Few Calories
- Chia Seeds Are Loaded With Antioxidants
- Almost All the Carbs in Them Are Fiber
- Chia Seeds Are High in Quality Protein
- The High Fiber and Protein Content in Chia Seeds May Help You Lose Weight
- Chia Seeds Are High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Chia Seeds May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
- They’re High in Many Important Bone Nutrients
- Chia Seeds May Reduce Blood Sugar Levels
- They May Reduce Chronic Inflammation
- Chia Seeds Are Easy to Incorporate Into Your Diet
Grab and GO!
No time to enjoy them at home? Pack them in a mini mason jars (125 ml) and have them to go. Even if you don’t want it to go, having it packed in a mason jar is a good way to portion it, a perfect portion for dessert or just something to go with your breakfast meal. This small batch could be divided into 2 mini mason jars, eat one and grab the other one to go.
Homemade Cherry Sauce
Homemade Chunky Cherry Sauce, nothing but fresh sweet Cherry with no preservatives added. With all the desserts that you can use Cherry, do not forget to add this in your list. Making homemade Cherry Sauce is so simple and easy, and you can use it several ways. Use it for pudding (like this recipe), or as sauce for ice cream, filling for crumb tarts or turnover pie.
Homemade Whipped Cream
Just like the Chunky Cherry Sauce, homemade whipped cream is so easy to make. You will only need 2 ingredients to make this. Whipping Cream and icing sugar, that’s it! Vanilla extract is optional, but if you have it add it. Watch the video to see how I made it.
- 1/2 cup Milk – any milk will work, even non-dairy milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoon Chia Seed
- 2 tablespoon Honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- Pour milk in mason jar or any jar with lid. Add cocoa powder, chia seed and honey or any sweetener of your choice. Shake until the honey is completely dissolved. Leave at least 1 hour or overnight in the fridge. Transfer the mixture a serving glass.
- Serve: Spoon the Cherry Sauce, add Whipped Cream on top and sprinkle some grated chocolate. Add fresh Cherry.
Serves 1 – 2
My Latest Video
- Coconut and Mango Chia Seed Pudding
- Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding
- Small Batch Homemade Cherry Sauce
- [VIDEO] How to Whip Cream Successfully
- Black Forest Oatmeal
- Black Forest Cake
What’s New – Strawberry Jam
Strawberry season is here, so I thought its about time I updated my Homemade Strawberry Jam post. This Strawberry Jam is small batch, homemade and no preservatives added. It is simple, easy and do not require any difficult to find ingredients. Check it out HERE
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA