If you are looking for an easy and filling salad to make, you just found it. This Avocado Chicken Salad is simple, filling and full of different kind of vegetables, and it taste really good for a chicken salad.
I love having salad almost anytime of the year. My meals are not complete without having vegetables on my plate. But during summer, I prepare more salad than any other time of the year. Although a lot of the vegetables I used for salad are not seasonal, summer has its own way of drawing me to make more salad for my meals. The hot summer weather made me choose to eat a lighter and yet filling meal like this salad. Something that will not require a lot of time to prepare because I don’t want to waste any minute staying inside the house when I have the opportunity to enjoy the sun outside. This salad fits perfectly to simple quick and filling salad I had in mind.
The easy process of making it one of the reason why I love it, and on top of that I also like the fact that the it uses very simple and basic ingredients and avocado. I love Avocado, and I just cannot get enough of it. Back when I was still in the Philippines, I used to eat Avocado with milk and ice and it was so good. Up to now, I still do it and I still love it. But I have extended the use of Avocado, and I’m loving how it started to appear in my salad, pasta and appetizers. There’s just so many ways to use it, and this salad is just one simple way. This salad is very flexible, use it as a guide and don’t restrict yourself to vegetables that I used. There is no right or wrong in making this salad, but I do have few things that I would like to point out.
Choice of Protein
I used chicken for this recipe, you can also use turkey. The good thing about this recipe is that you can actually use left over chicken or turkey, which makes the process even faster and simpler. In my case, I marinated the chicken in cilantro and line and I had it grilled. I don’t want to buy an entire rotisserie chicken since I only need 1 chicken breast. The marinade gave the chicken a strong nice flavor and taste which made me use fewer salt and spices in my dressing, because the chicken is so intense and flavorful already. If you are using a store-bought chicken or using left over meat, I suggest you adjust the seasoning to give it more taste. It totally up to you how many seasonings you add, adjust it to your preference. When cooking your own chicken, you can have it bake, grilled (like this recipe) or pan seared.
On top of the chicken flavor, this salad relies heavily on how you season it. If you are hesitant to follow the amount of spices I have here, just gradually add your spices especially salt and adjust as needed. You can even add more lemon juice or even use lime, just bear in mind that lime has a stronger citrus sour taste so don’t make the measurement the same as when using lemon, maybe a little less than squeeze more as needed. I used Italian seasoning, I like the blend of spices, but you can replace it with something more basic like Basil, Oregano, Rosemary etc. I added a note in the substitution section below.
Last but not the least, use ripe but not too ripe and mushy Avocado. You want an Avocado that can still hold its shape when you cut it, jut tight firmness and softness.
This salad has a very nice lemon/lime flavor, its refreshing and it’s filling. I like it paired with garlic bread, soft tortilla or sometime I even have it with rice, it’s that flexible, and it taste really good. Give it a try.
- 1 large cooked Chicken Breast– shredded or diced into small pieces
- 1 medium size fresh Jalapeño Pepper – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Red Onion – chopped
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper – chopped
- 1 small fresh cooked shredded Corn Kernel (Canned or frozen corn will work too)
- 1 large Avocado (ripe but not too ripe) – diced
Cilantro and Line Chicken Marinade:
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped Cilantro stems and leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Chicken – You can use store-bought rotisserie chicken or pan seared chicken breast seasoned with salt and pepper. If you are using either of this substitution, you may need to increase the spices for more flavor. Adjust as needed.
- Italian Seasoning – Italian Seasoning is a blend of Basil, Rosemary,Oregano,Marjoram,Sage, Thyme and Savory. If you have all these, or some of these spices, just mix them all together.
- Red Onion – Can be substituted with yellow or white onion for milder taste
- Marinate the Chicken: In a bowl, add olive oil, minced cloves garlic, finely chopped cilantro stems and leaves, lime juice, red chili flakes, salt. Stir and marinate chicken at least 1 hour, overnight recommended.
- Cook the Chicken: You can either grill, bake or pan seared the chicken. Once cooked, use a fork to shred it into small pieces. You can also have it diced if that is easier for you. If you are using a pre-cooked meat, you can skip the cooking portion and just jump to shredding or cutting it.
- Mix: In a large bowl, add shredded/diced chicken, jalapeno pepper, onion, red bell pepper, corn kernel and avocado. Toss to combine, set aside while you make the light dressing.
- Dressing: In a small bow, add olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, chili flakes, black pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- Toss Vegetable and Dressing: Pour dressing over the mix vegetables and chicken. Toss until combined.
That’s it! Serve and enjoy will toasted garlic bread, soft tortilla or even with steamed rice.
My Latest Video
- Avocado and Basil Pesto
- Avocado and Shrimp Salsa
- Black Beans and Avocado Quesadilla
- Green Goddess Avocado Sandwich
- Avocado and Cilantro Hummus
- Sweet Potato and Avocado Bowl
- Avocado Overnight Oats
- Avocado Tuna Sandwich
- Avocado Chicken Salad
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA