This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan Cheese is your perfect buddy for cold days when all you need is a warm bowl of soup to keep you warm. It has a smooth creamy consistency with a nice tomato and basil flavor and parmesan cheese to complete the taste.
Cheers to the season of soup and more soup. I am excited to share with you my second favorite soup, creamy and super delicious Tomato Basil Soup. I have to admit that I never had Tomato Basil Soup until the first time I went to Disneyland in California. They have Tomato Soup meal with Grilled Cheese and it was amazingly delicious! I immediately fell in love with this soup. I had this soup almost everyday that I was there, and still cannot get over it. So to keep the happy memory alive, and to keep me warm and cozy, I decided to make my own Tomato Soup at home.
When I came back from my vacation, I still have that Tomato Soup in my mind. Every time I eat out, I looked for Tomato Soup in the menu and I ordered it. Sad to say, I never had the luck to find something as good as the one in Disney.
I had decided to stop looking for it, and start making my own. I had several attempts, and none of them I could consider something that I would be proud of sharing with someone, until I made this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. This really live up to the its name ‘Creamy’ because it was really smooth and creamy.
I wouldn’t say that this is as good as the one in Disney, but I am happy with it. It taste good, it’s creamy but it still retains the taste of tomato and basil. I added chili peppers to give it a little kick, and that sealed the deal for me. So, if you are looking for a super delicious Tomato Soup recipe, this is the one. Trust me, I tried several recipes and so far this is the best among the rest. Let’s get started!
A Lighter Version – Roasted Tomato Soup
If you are trying to avoid a cream based soup but still want to enjoy a Tomato Soup, then give this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup a try. This version do not use any heavy cream, plus it uses fresh roasted tomato which gave it a really nice strong tomato flavor.
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 clove of Garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken Stock
- 2 cups canned diced Tomato in juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 tablespoon granulated Sugar
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the chopped onions. Add salt and pepper. Saute the onion about 8 minutes until they turn translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and stir to cook the flour for 1 minute or until it resembles into a paste consistency. Slowly stir in the vegetable or chicken stock, whisking the whole time so the flour doesn’t clump. Add basil and tomato.
- You can either transfer to a slow cooker and cook over low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, or cook it on the stove top by bringing it to a boil, about 30 minutes, then cover and reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 more minutes. The consistency will start to thickens.
- Remove the lid, and either use an immersion blender or stand blender (careful when blending hot liquids in a stand blender!). Blend until the soup is creamy. Then stir in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. return the soup in a pan simmer for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the soup is warm. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Leftovers will keep for 1 week in an airtight container. Freezes beautifully. See notes for freezing tips.
If you’re planing to freeze the soup, after blending it with a blender, scoop out the amount of soup you want to freeze BEFORE adding the cheese and heavy cream.When you are ready to eat it, bring to a boil then add cream and parmesan cheese. This will keep frozen in an airtight container for 6 months.
- 25 Comforting Soup to Keep You Warm
- Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Egg Drop Corn Soup
- Mexican Chili
- Chicken Macaroni
- Chicken Arozcaldo
- Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA