Standing elegantly tall and proud is this Phyllo Steak and Potato Pie. A pie wrapped in flaky phyllo dough and loaded with meat, potato, vegetables and creamy goat cheese inside. It is a complete meal on its own and fantastic pie to go with Garlic and Cheese Mashed Potato and any of your favorite salad.
This is one wonderful thick, tall and filling pie perfect for brunch or dinner. I often make dessert pies because I simply like the combination of buttery flaky crust and sweet thick fruit filling. I’m kind of obsessed with them especially during Summer when fresh fruits are in abundance. I had never made a full size savory pie like this, most of the time I made the hand pie or pocket pies like my Mushroom Hand Pies. I like that they are in almost bite size, and they are pretty easy for pack and go snack.
This is the opposite of a hand pie. This pie is kind of big. tall and thick, not bite size at all but I wouldn’t mind having this one.
Make it Vegetarian
This pirecan easily be transformed to a vegetarian pie. Simply remove the beef and add more potato or vegetables of your choice. I would recommend adding sliced sauted mushroom to replace the beef.
What is Phyllo Pastry?
Filo or phyllo is a very thin sheets of dough commonly used for making pastries such as baklava. Filo-based pastries are made by layering many sheets of filo brushed with oil or butter; sometimes stuffed with meat or veggie, or just a layer of the filo dough. The pastry is then baked until flaky and crunchy.
Tips for Handling Phyllo Dough Sheets
Phyllo dough is more delicate than other pastry dough like pie crust of puff pastry. Because phyllo dough are extremely thin, they have the tendency to easily dry out. Here are few tips to remember when working on phyllo. dough.
- Thawing: Keep the package close when thawing. You can thaw the phyllo overnight in the refrigerator. Be mindful of the temperature in your kitchen if you decide to thaw it at room temperature as it could get soft easily when it is humid and hot.
- Handling: Make sure your hands are dry as possible when handling the dough. The sheets are quite thin and using wet hands could make the phyllo stick to your hands
- Using: Cover the unrolled phyllo parchment paper and a damp towel to keep it moist. Also, cover the rolled phyllo sheets that are on stand to avoid getting dry. When layering, brush each layer with butter or oil.
- .336 kg Beef Steak or Chicken Breast – thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 7 pieces Phyllo Sheet
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- .336 kg Beef Steak or Chicken Breast – thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Salt (Divided between the steak, potato and veggie)
- 3/4 teaspoon Black Pepper (Divided between the steak, potato and veggie)
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup Onion – chopped
- 1 medium Potato – thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Green Peas
- 1 small Bell Peppers (any color)
- 1 cup Goat Cheese
- 1 cup Mix veggies
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Prepare the Steak: Wash and pat dry the sliced beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add tbsp olive oil and let sit for 30 minutes (can be left overnight).
- Bake the Potatoes: Thinly sliced the potatoes to about 1/4 inch thick, wash and pat dry with paper towel. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and arrange the sliced potatoes. Sprinkle both sides with salt and peppers. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes, turning the other side half way through baking. Remove from the oven as soon as potatoes are baked. Check from time to time to make sure it doesn’t get crispy. Baking time could vary depending on how thick or thin you’ve sliced the potatoes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Alternatively, you can also cook the potato on stove top. Spray the pan oil and cook the potato.
- Cook the Beef: In a heated pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and cook the beef until cook through. Set aside and let cool completely.
- Cook the Vegetables: In the same pan used to cook the beef, add 1 tsp olive oil. Add garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant and no longer translucent. Add carrots, green peas and bell pepper. Alternatively, you can also use the mix frozen. Season to taste. Set aside to cool completely.
- Layer Phyllo: Melt butter and let cool completely. Carefully transfer one piece of phyllo in baking sheet or large chopping board. Using a baking brush, brush top of phyllo with melted butter. Transfer in baking pan. Make sure to leave extra hanging on try sides of the pan for folding later. Create 7 layers (all individually brushed with melted butter).
- Assemble: Arrange the baked potatoes on top of the layered phyllo, cover the entire base and side of the thrown. Second Layer: Add cook beef on top of potato. 3rd Layer: Add 1/2 cup goat cheese on top of beef. 4th Layer: Spread vegetables on top of cheese. If you are using a large and deep pan, repeat the layers ending with a double layers of potato,beef, cheese and vegetables. Fold the hanging phyllo on top. Make sure to cover the entire top. If the overhang phyllo is not enough to cover the top, get one piece of phyllo and brush with melted butter. Use it to cover the top.
- Brush Top with Egg Wash (egg + water or cream) and sprinkle top with sesame seeds.
- Bake at preheated oven of 375F for 30 minutes or until top turned brown and flaky. Remove from the pan and cover top with aluminum foil then return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes or until the sides turned brown.
Featured Video: Garlic and Cheese Mashed Potato
Here’s a perfect side dish to g with this tall, thick and meaty Phyllo Steak Pie. This mashed potato is so smooth and creamy, and it is so easy to make at home Watch how I made it.
My Latest Video
- Phyllo Potato & Steak Pie
- Baby Potato & Green Onion Quiche
- Mushroom and Spinach Quiche
- Asparagus Mushroom Quiche
- Twiced baked Potato & Cheese Pie
- Coconut Custard Pie
- Ham and Egg 4 Cheese Pie
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA