Not all wellington are created equal. This Salmon Wellington is 100% easier to make than traditional Beef Wellington. This is a great holiday meal that you can serve in no time at all. No need to worry of getting the meat rare or medium rare, with this Salmon Wellington, delicious impressive dinner is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
I didn’t realize that making my own Salmon Wellington could be this easy. I did not even plan to make it just like what I do for other lunch or dinner dishes that needs preparation. I woke up one Saturday thinking of what to have for lunch. I started rummaging into my refrigerator, which basically doesn’t have much in it. Luckily, I found 2 slices of frozen Salmon, cheese, puff pastry and some veggies, I guess this is all what I need to create something delicious and fancy looking as Salmon Wellington.
If you are intimidated by this, don’t be. I made a Chicken Wellington before, and I am telling you that this Salmon Wellington is half simple as that one. Let’s just say this is the simplified version, quick and easy but still as good and delicious as the Chicken Wellington. I like the fact that this can be done on the fly without ample preparation, more like stuff and bake. It is very flexible too in terms of stuffing. You can add other veggies inside, or more cheese please! I am a Salmon lover, and I think this is one of the best simple and easy Salmon recipe I have. I hope that you will give it a try. Let’s get started!
Tips for successful Wellington:
- If using frozen salmon, make sure to thaw it before using. Leave in the refrigerator overnight or on counter top for few minutes until totally thawed. Cooking a frozen salmon can make the puff pastry dough soggy.
- Use thick slice of salmon, not the tail end. This way, you get a balance between salmon and puff pastry. If you get a thin slice of salmon, you will end up eating mostly puff pastry and you will be fishing for the Salmon.
- Use thick slice of cheese, not the cheese singles or shredded cheese. This will avoid the puff pastry from being soggy once the cheese starts to melt.
- Be generous with the seasoning rub on the salmon, this is the only chance you have to season it.
- 2 pieces Salmon (preferably the thick part of Salmon, not the tail end)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg (Separate egg yolk from egg white)
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 medium size fresh Jalapeño Pepper
- 4 slices Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg – for egg wash (optional) separate egg yolk from egg white
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Honey Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Honey or granulated White Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare the salmon rub. Mix salt,black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and brown sugar. All the spices could be adjusted to your preference. Rub all sides of salmon with mixed spices.
- Prepare the Egg wash: Beat the egg and 1 teaspoon of water. Set aside.
- Wrap the salmon with puff pastry. Take the puff pastry out of the freezer at least 15 minutes before using it. Un-roll and lay it on a flat surface. If the puff pastry is still hard, do not force to roll it as it will break and tear. Leave it few more minutes until manageable to roll. Put the salmon on top of puff pastry. Depending on the size of your salmon, you may need 1/2 to 3/4 of puff pastry sheet per piece of salmon. Put sliced cheese, 1 tbsp butter and jalapeño pepper on top of salmon. Fold tightly the puff pastry to wrap the salmon. Make sure to seal the sides to avoid the cheese from leaking.
- Decorate top: using a sharp knife, lightly run the knife of top of the salmon (scoring), but do not cut through it. You just want yo create a crisis cross pattern on top. This is optional, you can skip this step and just have it plain. Brush top and sides of salmon with egg wash.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the puff pastry has browned and puffed.
For the Dressing:
Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and chill in the refrigerator while baking the salmon.
Enjoy and serve with side dish of your choice!
My Latest Video
Complete the Meal with This Pairing:
- Garlic and Cheese Mashed Potato
- Green Beans and Tomato Salad
- Feta Cheese Drop Biscuits
- Asparagus Soup
- Choco-Vanilla Chiffon Cake
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Leave a Reply