This BBQ Chicken Wings has a nice sweet and salty taste, so tender because it was cooked twice, and finger licking good. Perfect for appetizers or for when you just want to have a good wings to get your fingers dirty and your tummy happy.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Wings
You can use this same recipe using legs, thigh or breast. The key thing here is the marinade. Once you have that, any chicken parts will work as good. I like nibbling on chicken wings because I don’t get full as fast and as much as opposed to eating thighs or breast. This is totally your call and boils down to preference.
- Make the Sauce – The sauce is a homemade sauce made with mixture of soy sauce, tomato’s paste, sugar and seasonings. If you want to skip this step and make the process even easier, you can use store-bought BBQ sauce or marinade.
- Marinate the Chicken in the Sauce – I recommend marinating the chicken overnight but if you do not have that much time, at least 30 minutes to 1 hr
- Sear the Chicken (10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced) – in this step, you want to cook the chicken until the sauce sticks to the skin and starts to brown. You don’t have to fully cook it at this stage unless you do not want to BBQ it. You can also bake it if you do not want to BBQ it
- BBQ the Chicken – this stage is where you get the chicken charred to get a nice BBQ smokey taste. Once you see the chicken charred, that is done. Remember, it was already cooked earlier
Chicken Wings Part:
So there are three portions of the chicken wing
- Wing Tip (or the flapper) – This is the pointy part with no meat at all. You do not need this for this recipe, but you can set it aside and use it for making chicken broth
- Wingette – This is the middle part of the chicken wings. We need this for this recipe.
- Drumette – This is the meaty part of the chicken wings, almost like small drumstick. We need this for this recipe. You can use all drumette of a combination of wingette or drumette
How to Serve:
This is just my suggestion, feel free to serve it however you want to. Personally, I like to serve it with some celery sticks on the side for crunch and freshness. I like to serve this with Tzatziki Dressing, again for more freshness, but any of your favorite dip will work just fine.
- 1 lb Chicken Wings (.556 kg)/12 pieces Wings
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Make the Sauce: Pour the water in a pan. Add soy sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, black pepper, paprika, chili flakes, salt, cornstarch and Italian seasoning. Stir ti dissolve the cornstarch. Simmer in medium heat, keep stirring until the consistency turned thick.
- Prepare the chicken wings: use a chef’s knife or kitchen shears to cut through the first joint of each wing to remove the wing tip. (Discard or freeze for stock.) Cut through the second joint to separate the wing into the forearm (wingette) and upper arm (drumette) sections.
- Alternatively, you can buy a ready to cook chicken drumette in grocery so you do not have to separate the wing and upper arm section or you can use a combination of both. Do not use the whole wings as the wing tip will get brunt easily during baking.
- Marinate the Chicken: Transfer the chicken in a dish. Pour the sauce and toss to coat the chicken. Leave to marinate 30 minutes – 1 hr, or better yet, leave it overnight. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- Sear the Chicken: Spray a large pan with oil. Sear the chicken just for few minutes, until the sauce sticks to the chicken. At this stage, you can serve the chicken as is. It is already cook and ready to eat.
- BBQ the Chicken: Now, if you like the smokey BBQ taste, BBQ the chicken until nicely charred
- Bake until the wings are cooked through and the skin is crispy, 50 – 60 minutes.
- Make the Garlic Butter: Meanwhile, prepare the following, placing them all in the same large bowl: butter, finely grate Parmesan cheese, parsley, and minced garlic cloves. A few minutes before the wings are done, melt the mixture in microwave. Add the panko bread crumbs (if using)
- Toss the Wings in Garlic Butter: Toss the wings with the garlic butter mixture and toss until well-coated. The cheese and panko crumbs will not stick to the wings so you have to sprinkle it on top of the chicken .
- Final Baking: Transfer the wings to the baking sheet and arrange the chicken close to each other. Make sure that the chicken touch the sides of each other. Sprinkle the loose cheese and panko bread crumbs on top. Bake for 15 minutes until the garlic is slightly cook and the cheese and crumbs are crunchy.
- Serve: Transfer the chicken in a plate with paper towel. Let sit for few minutes until some of the oil are absorbed by the paper towel. Transfer in a serving plate or platter and top with more grated Parmesan, if desired. Serve with celery sticks on the side and some Tzatziki Dressing.
Serves 2 – 3
- When using whole wings, make sure to remove the wing tip (the pointy part of the wing) as this will get burn easily.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Chicken Tenders
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken
- Chicken Shawarma
- Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Filipino Chicken Adobo
- Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
- Baked Doritos Crusted Chicken
- Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
- Baked Garlic Chicken Wings
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Follow SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media