Every time I make Grilled Brussels Sprout Skewers, I also make extra so that I can make this Brussels Sprouts Quinoa Salad. Its like hitting 2 birds in one stone, and besides, Grilled Brussels Sprout Skewers goes with almost any meat dishes. It is a fantastic side dish, so one batch was never enough.
This recipe is very simple, and flexible. I can mix and match vegetables as I wish, and it is not strict when it comes to measurements. That is one thing that I love about salad. They are very easy to make, and there is really no way you can mess up a salad. Salad is basically just a combination of different kind of vegetables, fruits or grains. Although there are combinations that work perfectly together, I just play around with the ingredients and add whatever I have in my fridge. This salad is packed with flavors and texture and really filling. Just an addition of grilled chicken breast or steak and lunch is served! Let’s get started!
- Grilled Brussel Sprouts
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1/4 cup cherry tomato – sliced into half
- 1/4 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
For the dressing: This can be replaced with any dressing you prefer
- 1 tbsp honey dijon dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 tsp granulated white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare Grilled Brussel Sprouts
- Roast/Bake option: Wash and cut into half the brussels sprout. Line a baking sheet with a foil and toss the brussels sprout with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan and rinse a few times. Add 1 cup water, ¼ teaspoon of salt. Bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Turn off the heat and leave the pan covered for 5 minutes, then take out from the pan and “pluff” the quinoa by pressing it with the fork.
- Cut the brussels sprouts into 1/4 pieces, or the size you prefer.
- In a large bowl, combine shaved brussels sprouts, quinoa, chick peas, walnuts and cranberries. Toss with honey Dijon dressing and serve warm.
- Make-ahead tip: Mix everything, except for walnuts and dressing, and refrigerate it. Right before serving, warm the salad up a bit and toss with nuts and dressing.
If you like this post, please don’t forget to click on the “Like” button below or Share this post with your friends.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community eating healthy!♥
Categories: Cooking, Recipe, Salad, Small Batch Recipes
Leave a Reply