I think I created a monster eating Purple Yam Jam in me! I had been making bread and filling it with Purple Yam Jam non-stop, like crazy. I just love it that much that ideas just kept on popping up in my mind. With all the designs I had in my mind, I wouldn’t pass the opportunity of making bread rolls filled with Purple Yam Jam.
There was a time that I had an obsession in making Cinnamon Bread Rolls, not that I like it that much. It’s the process that actually got me obsessed with it. I like the idea of applying creativity in baking, and this Purple Yam Bread Rolls definitely made used of that creativity. I enjoyed spreading jam on the dough, rolling, cutting and arranging it. I had fun in making this bread and that is always an important factor for me when baking or preparing something.
If you are not familiar with Purple Yam Jam, it is a smooth and creamy jam made from purple yam. Yes, the vegetable purple yam. It might sound weird to you, using vegetable to make jam , but it works and it is really deliciously good. Trust me on this. Purple Yam Jam is a traditional desert in the Philippines, commonly present on occasions like Christmas , New Year or birthday.
I love snacking on it on its own, in fact, while I was photographing this, I kept on eating small portion of it, and I had to stop myself otherwise there will be non left for me to take photo. The texture of this bread is in the dense and heavy side, the perfect texture to fill it with purple yam jam. So, if you are adventurous enough to try something new, try making the Purple Yam Jam and make this bread too. You will definitely make your friends intrigue with this bread. Let’s get started!
- 1 batch Purple Yam Jam
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cups lukewarm Water (110F)
- 2/3 cups lukewarm Milk (110F)
- 1/4cup granulated white Sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted Butter – melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast (I used Fleischmann’s brand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon table Salt
- 1 Egg for brushing (Add 1/2 tsp water to the beaten egg to make egg wash) – optional
Note: This recipe can be done without a stand mixer. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and using your hand, manually mix and knead the dough in a flat surface.
- Purple Yam Jam. This can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
- Activate the Yeast: Pour the warm water in a bowl. Add the 1 tablespoon sugar and active dry yeast and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Dry Ingredients: Add the flour, remaining sugar and salt . Mix until fully combined.
- Wet Ingredients: Gradually add the milk. The liquid temperature should be between 110F – 115F. If you do not have a thermometer, microwave the liquid for 10-15 seconds. If you are using water from the fridge, microwave 15 – 20 seconds. Temperature is important to activate the yeast.
- Knead: Mix and knead the dough until combined (7 minutes).
- Butter: Add butter. The dough will break apart when you add the butter, this is expected. Continue kneading about 20 – 25 until the dough coms together again.
- Rest Period 1: Form into a ball and transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise for 1 hour. (It’s best to let the dough rise in a warmer area of your kitchen).
- To help the dough rise better, I put it inside the oven which I pre-heated to 110F. Once it reached the 110F, I stopped/canceled it. DO NOT forget to stop it, you only want the oven to warm up for the dough to rise, you do not want to dough to be baked. Some oven has a proofing setting, mine doesn’t, so this is my trick.
- Shape – Knead the dough and use a rolling-pin to flatten it. Spread Purple Yam Jam on top of the dough. Starting from the edge, roll the dough to form a log or 12-inch long. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Arrange each pieces in the baking pan.
- Rest Period 2: Cover with plastic wap or towel and leave for 1 hour in a warm place before baking.
- Bake: Brush with egg wash or milk (optional). Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top turns golden brown
Looking for more homemade bread recipes? I got you covered! I have here 10 of my favorite homemade bread recipes, all with Video or MORE bread recipes HERE
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Baking, Breads, Filipino Dessert, Recipe
Leave a Reply