Happy National Ice Cream Day!! Let’s celebrate it with this smooth and creamy Ube (Purple Yam) Ice Cream. I did not even know until today that there is such a thing as National Ice Cream Day, but I am all for it, no complain at all.
Ice cream is my all-time favorite frozen dessert. For me, it is simply irresistible. Although ice cream or any cold treats are best enjoyed during the summer, I don’t mind having it anytime of the year, even during winter. Yes, that’s right, winter. In fact, I started making my homemade ice cream during winter season. No cold weather can stop me from eating ice cream.
Since I got into making my own homemade ice cream, I had been experimenting and trying different flavors. I had a list of my top 10 flavors and this Ube or Purple Yam Ice Cream made it to my list. Purple Yam is a common ingredients used in desserts in the Philippines. We use it to make Purple Yam Jam, Purple Yam Bread, Swiss Roll Cake, Chiffon Cake, Cupcakes, ice cream and more. This is as easy and simple as my other ice cream recipes below. Let’s get started!
Here are my other frozen treats. Check them out!
- Coffee Fudge Ice Cream
- Mango Ice Cream
- Avocado Pistachio Ice Cream
- Mango Tango Frozen Yogurt
- Strawberry Banana Frozen Yogurt
- Cantaloupe Sorbet
- Peaches and Pineapple Sorbet
- Fruit Medley Sorbet
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cooked and grated purple yam (do not pack or push the grated purple yam into the measuring cup)
- Boil Purple Yam until cook and soft enough to grate. Let cool and grate.
- Combine the condensed milk and grated purple yam.
- Add the heavy cream to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer set to medium speed, beat until stiff peaks form. Turn the speed to low and slowly pour in the condensed milk and purple yam mixture. Turn the speed back up to medium and beat until thickened. Click here for guide on how to whip cream, successfully.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 6 hours, overnight preferred.
Note: Don’t be tempted to put too much purple yam as you will end up getting an ice cream that taste to starchy.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the summer going!♥
Categories: Frozen Treats