This Ratatouille Vegetable Dish is a light and yet filling at the same time. The assorted vegetables slowly cooked in low heat served with buttered and toasted bread plus a perfectly poached egg is truly a combination that will never fail to deliver satisfaction.
What is Ratatouille?
This Ratatouille Vegetable Dish is one of my favorite, regardless of weather. It’s an all around kind of dish, its vegetarian Yes, but it taste really great. I honestly did not know what Ratatouille is until I watch the movie that made the dish popular and to which it was named after, the movie “Ratatouille”. Ratatouille is basically a vegetable stew dish that is cooked either by baking or on stove top. The vegetables are either sliced thinly and arrange in a baking tray with some tomato sauce in the bottom layer OR cut into cubes and sautéed all together or one at a time and combined together and cooked for at least 1 hour in low heat. The low heat cooking aims to cook the vegetable slowly without making it too mushy.
I’ve made Ratatouille both ways, in the oven and on stove top. Either way, they turned out amazing. Although if you are particular with presentation and looks, the thinly sliced and baked style is the way to go although that would require more preparation time but it’s worth it. I have a link below in case you are interested on how to make it. Check it out.
This recipe uses the easier and simpler method and I really like this when I do not much have time to do the preparation. The most the you will need to do it cut the vegetable in almost the same size for even cooking, then cook them together. If you are using a small pan, you could cook the vegetables one after the other and once everything is done, put them all back together is a bigger pan to continue cooking it in low heat. As I have said, it’s basically a vegetable stew, nothing complicated.
Now, to serve it. You can serve it with poached egg and toast like what I have here or you can serve it with rice or even mix it with pasta. But this combination of toast and poached egg here is a MUST try, it’s really perfect together. The soft poached egg the flows slowly when cut, the buttered toasted bread and the soft vegetables are just incredibly satisfying. Yummy. Give it a try.
- 1/2 large green zucchini sliced in rounds or diced
- 1/2 large yellow squash sliced in rounds or diced
- 1/2 large eggplant sliced in rounds or diced
- 3 large roma or vine tomatoes sliced in rounds or diced
- 1/4 cup canned tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or more as needed)
- Prepare the Vegetables: Wash and cut the vegetables.
- Cook the Vegetables: In a heated large pan, add olive oil and vegetables. cook until the exterior of the vegetables are browned nicely. If you are using a smaller pan, you can cook the vegetables separately and combine them together in a deep pan for simmering later. Add canned tomatoes and mix to combine.
- Season: Season with chili flakes, paprika, salt, sugar and black pepper. Mix to distribute spices. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Simmer: Cover and simmer in low heat for about 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve: Make the poached egg. Click here of the instructions. Serve with poached egg and toasted bread.
Thank You for visiting my website. If you like this post, kindly click on the “Like” button below or leave me a comment, I like getting feedback from you.