Featured Video: Homemade Puff Pastry, Simplified Version
This Puff Pastry Pesto Penne Pasta is not your usual pasta. It’s a pasta covered with buttery puff pastry, topped with grated parmesan cheese and baked until puff-up and flaky. I told you, not the same usual pasta.
Pasta is one meal that is easy to prepare, quite filling and good source of carbohydrates unless you are trying to cut down on carbs. I did not actually plan to make this Pesto Penne Pasta, it came around just because I was trying to see what I can make from what I have in my refrigerator. Luckily, I found my Homemade Spinach Pesto and roll of frozen puff pastry in my freezer. The initial plan was just to make a Penne Pesto Pasta but then I thought using a puff pastry with pasta would be a nice idea. I know it’s not the healthiest meal option because of all the carbs in the pasta and puff pastry, but I can make excuses in some days. Sometimes I just want to go a little bit crazy in my food.
The idea is to bake the pasta and cover it with puff pastry on top and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top. The puff pastry will somehow block the pasta from getting dry on top of the extra layer of goat cheese that was covering it. This pasta may not have meat in it, but it was quite satisfying and filling. With all the cheese in this pasta and a nice Homemade Spinach Pesto, I wasn’t surprise at all.
What Kind of Pesto To Use?
This recipe is very flexible, you can use any pesto you like, even tomato pesto. Make sure to taste the pesto so you can adjust the seasoning as needed. I added extra seasoning on top of what is already in my Homemade Spinach Pesto. If you are making your own, you can even make it ahead of time. Keep it refrigerated until ready to use. Check out my post How to Keep Homemade Pesto Beautifully Green for tips on how to retain the nice vibrant green color of the pesto.
Puff Pastry, Homemade or Store-Bought?
It doesn’t really matter, either will work just fine. A store-bought puff pastry will be a convenient route if you do not have time to make your own at home. In case you decide to make, I have 5 Ingredients Small Batch Puff Pastry, Simplified Version! video recipe in my website. It’s not as difficult as it sounds, and I assure you that you can make it better than store-bought with this simple recipe. You can make it ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until ready to use.
- 1 1/3 cup (150g) Penne Pasta
- 1/2 cup Small Batch Homemade Spinach Pesto
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- Egg wash: Mix 1 egg + 1 tsp water
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Puff Pastry Homemade or Store-Bought
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Cook pasta for 10 minutes then drain and return to the pan. Add pesto and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasoning as needed. Transfer in a baking dish and top with goat cheese. Cover top with Puff Pastry .Chill in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Brush top with egg wash then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until puff pastry is puff-up top turns brown.
- 30 Meat FREE Dishes That Taste Good
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Mix Beans Chili
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Asparagus Quiche
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Omelette Enchiladas
- Meat Free Monday: Cauliflower and Quinoa Meatballs in Coconut Sauce
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.