This Grilled Chicken Teriyaki is tender juicy with nice level of saltiness and sweetness, a little bit of heat and a smokey BBQ taste. Grilled, with steamed vegetable and a sweet and salty teriyaki sauce, this is going to be a favorite on your table.
You’ve probably have Teriyaki before, probably the pan style Teriyaki which is the most common one. I make that one often too, for me, that’s one easy way to make simple and delicious meal so expect to see it appear in my blog any time in the future. But when it is Summer, I always prefer to use my grill whenever I can. We don’t have long Summer in Vancouver and so everything that I can do outside I do outside, like BBQ activity. I’ve recently been making different variations of chicken BBQ which you will soon see as part of my Summer post, and this Grilled Teriyaki Chicken is one of them.
If you’ve made the Teriyaki Chicken before, it’s almost the same as this one except you will cook it BBQ style. You can use a store-bought Teriyaki sauce but check out this recipe first and see how easy it is to make your own Teriyaki marinade and sauce, there’s really no need to buy it from the store.
Single Serve But Can Be Double Up
This recipe serves 1, double up the marinade if you are using 2 large chicken breast so that you will had enough sauce later. Grill the chicken until cooked through, mine took about 8-10 minutes on high flame but it could depend on the size of how chicken you are using. It could be more than 10 minutes if it is thicker, adjust as needed.
You can use any side dish for this recipe, but I often prefer broccoli and carrots as I find the combination perfect for the Teriyaki sauce. You can add some salt, pepper and butter to give a little taste or have it just plain steamed vegetables like what I did.
This is is a very easy simple meal for summer outing, make a large batch, marinade overnight and brig to your BBQ picnic for grilling.
- 1 large boneless Chicken Breast
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 1/4 tsp minced Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp Sesame seed
- Make the Marinade: In a small bowl, add water, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, salt and black pepper. Pour over the chicken, cover and refrigerate. Marinate for at least minutes – 1 hour.
- Prepare the Grill: Clean and pre-heat the grill. Grill the chicken until cook through. Brush chicken with olive oil when you flip it to keep it moist. Set aside the marinade for later.
- Make the Sauce: Transfer the marinade into a pan. Add cornstarch and stir before simmering. Bring to a boil until the sauce thicken, continuously stirring to avoid lumps. It is VERY important to bring the sauce to a boil since it has been used as a marinade for the chicken. Add chili flakes (if using) and stir. Transfer in a bowl and sprinkle some sesame seed. For a lighter and liquidy consistency, add more water as needed (about 1 tbsp).
- Make the Side Dish: Bring water into a boil and add carrots. Cook until softness is to your liking. Add broccoli then turn of the heat. Drain the water and transfer in a plate.
- Serve: Take the chicken out from the grill and serve with sauce and side veggies.
Alternative Cooking Options:
Alternative options baking/cooking time could vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken. Adjust as needed until the chicken is fully cooked but still moist.
In a heated pan, add 1 tsp of olive oil. Cook the chicken for about 8-10 minutes. The length of time could vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken, adjust as necessary. Flip once to cook the other side, you want to get a nice browning on each side. Check the side of the chicken for raw texture, if the color changes half way of the side, you can do the flip and cook the other side until cook through. Remove from the pan and make the sauce and side dish as per instructions above.
Bake at 350F for 22 – 26 minutes or until cook through.
Reminder: NEVER grill a frozen chicken. If you decide to freeze the chicken with the marinade, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator before cooking it.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check out these posts.
- Baked Doritos Crusted Chicken
- Chicken Tenders: Crispy and Not Greasy, So What’s the Secret?
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Spinach and Tomato
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner
- [VIDEO] Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Salad
- Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Quinoa Bowls for Two
- Spicy Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
- [VIDEO] Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
- Chicken Wellington
- Spicy Chicken Potato Curry Empanada
- Chicken Mami (Chicken in Egg Noddle Soup)
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- One Pan Pesto Chicken with Asparagus and Tomato
- Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups
- Spicy Thai Red Chicken Curry in Coconut Sauce
- Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW ME Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Categories: Cooking, Entrée, Recipe, Video, Video Recipes
Nice simple recipe for teriyaki sauce. Thanks for sharing.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re welcome. I’m glad you like it.
LikeLiked by 1 person