This vibrant Pickled Beets and Onion is sure to capture your attention. It is deeply red, it has a nice balance salty, sour and sweet taste and it has just the right crunchy texture. A great side dish for meals and even for salad.
I like being introduced to new type of vegetables once in a while. I like trying new food, new restaurant and new places to visit. Sometimes I am amazed on how my taste buds and food preference change as time goes by. Foods that I don’t like before, I love them now, just like Beets. I first encountered Beets when I ordered salad in a restaurant. I remembered it was cut in big square chunks, quite too big and overwhelming for me. I was curious what it was, took a small bite and I didn’t like it.
Then I went into another restaurant, ordered a salad and there goes the Beets again. This time, it was cut lengthwise like a french fries, but it was pickled. I tried one piece, and surprisingly, I liked it. I am glad that I did not gave up on this Beets and gave it a second chance. I like it now, so I thought, why not make my own pickled beets, it couldn’t be that hard and I can customize it to my preference.
I am not expert in pickling, in fact, this is my first time to do it. As always, I just went ahead and did it according to my preference. I like my pickled vegetables a little bit sweet with a subtle sour and salty taste. I like it slightly crunchy and not too overcooked and soft. So I guess this is what you could expect from this pickled Beets and Onion. If your preference is the same as mine, then this recipe is for you. Let’s get started!
- 3 Large Beets – Sliced or diced
- 1/2 large White Onion – cut thinly in rounds
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Make the Brine Solution: Pour water and vinegar in a bowl. Add sugar, salt and onion. Taste and adjust as desired. Set aside while you cook the beets.
- Bake Wash beets and pat dry with paper towel. Arrange in a baking sheet and bake for 45 – 55 minutes, or until cook through. Push a toothpick in the center or a sharp knife, if it goes through without too much effort, the Beets it good to go. Remove from the oven and let cool, then peel the skin.
- Slice: Slice the beets thinly, then cut into stick (like french fries)
- Mix: Add the beets into the water and vinegar mixture then toss.
- Store: Transfer in a clean and sterilized mason jar. Keep refrigerated.
- Meat Free Monday: Asparagus and Tomato Greek Salad
- Roasted Buttered Baby Carrots
- Beets and Carrot Salad
- Meat Free Monday: Teriyaki Tofu Buddha Bowl
- Meat Free Monday: Spicy Tofu Rice Bowl
- Meat Free Monday: Baked Tofu Nuggets
- Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.